To Smile A Smile To Smile A Smile | Shades of Crimson

To Smile A Smile

by Davina on July 12, 2009

2717920542_51645437c9

More than just a smile

Smiles are sexy, comforting, appreciative, welcoming, fulfilling, bold, compassionate and energizing. Feel this with just one smile and without so much as one word.

There is more to a smile than meets the eye. More than 50% of communication is non-verbal and a smile is one of the most powerful tools of communication there is.

If someone is smiling while on the phone, you can hear it in their voice. Sometimes you can feel the energy of a smile without hearing or seeing anything. There is an energetic shift in the atmosphere when someone smiles. One smile can affect everyone in the room.

That’s the spirit

Smiling is a universal language that is understood by humans and animals. When I smile at a dog for instance, their tail wags faster.

Many emotions are conveyed with a smile and yet we instinctively know how to read one particular smile. We just know.

There is magic in sharing a smile with a stranger, a loved-one or a friend. A smile to the Self is delicious. Our soul speaks through our smile.

Recall those times when your eyes have met a stranger’s eyes and you’ve both smiled simultaneously. An unconditional smile is an expression of spirit. A wave without the wave.

Smiling releases endorphins, lowers your blood pressure and relieves stress. People who smile appear confident and successful, and they are more likely to be promoted. Friends and colleagues want to be around you and listen to what you have to say. They feel you will listen to them too.

Just notice when you smile

I was out walking and while passing by a house the front door opened. I watched a cat stroll onto the porch. As soon as it passed through the open door, its tail went up and it arched its back happily. I smiled to myself and felt waves of contentment. Was that what the cat was feeling?

Later, I was sitting on my balcony and noticed a man walking by. He was carrying two cups of takeout coffee, obviously bringing one to a friend. I imagined him handing this cup of coffee to his friend. I smiled to myself happily, as if a friend was handing me a cup of coffee.

Make a conscious effort to notice when you smile. You’ll encourage a stronger awareness of the feelings it evokes. They will become readily available to you; more accessible on those days when you might need some comfort.

Practice this, and you’ll start looking for more reasons to smile. You’ll start finding more reasons to smile and this appreciation will become a natural state of being.

Often the hardest part is being the first one to smile. So, start the wave. Celebrate the power of your smile. Have you smiled yet today?

What makes you smile?

Who do you know that has the nicest smile and what makes their smile so special?

Photo credit: PaiO

Lance July 13, 2009 at 1:58 am

Wonderful reminder on the power of a smile!

I have a story I’d like to share. Yesterday I was out competing in a race (triathlon). And as part of that the bike portion gets spread out. So, there usually aren’t many people out cheering everyone on except for at the start and finish. But there are usually a few people out along the way, plus volunteers. And I was watching some of the bikers in front of me, how they were focused on the race completely – seemingly unaware of the person on the side cheering them on (and I’m not saying this is good or bad, it just was). I decided I would smile and/or wave to those who were out there (it’s not like I was going to win, anyway). And such a simple thing – a smile – almost every time – brought the person who was out there to smile back and offer me a little more encouragement as I biked along. The smile I gave came back to me tenfold! And it felt so good, both to see their face brighten, and then to have my own outlook brightened by them. The power of a smile…is so great!

Davina, this is really such a wonderful message you share – and know that I’m smiling back at you as I type this…thank YOU!
.-= Lance´s last blog ..Sunday Thought For The Day =-.

Positively Present July 13, 2009 at 6:45 am

Smiling is so, so important and I’m so glad you wrote a post on this! This post made me smile! :) <– See!
.-= Positively Present´s last blog ..what lies beyond greatness =-.

Lori Hoeck July 13, 2009 at 7:30 am

I like smiles because they embrace with a visual hug.
.-= Lori Hoeck´s last blog ..Three ways a narcissist can take control =-.

Miguel de Luis July 13, 2009 at 8:04 am

What makes me smile, oh and you ask me? words of wisdom like these :)

Stacey / Create a Balance July 13, 2009 at 8:24 am

This post made me smile. My children have the best smiles around. Seeing them smile makes my heart jump out of my body.
.-= Stacey / Create a Balance ´s last blog ..Giving Myself Permission to be Human =-.

Davina July 13, 2009 at 9:00 am

Hi Lance, Dani, Lori, Miguel and Stacey. I’m smiling as I read your comments :-) I’ll be back to reply to each and every one of you in a bit… after I’ve made my coffee. Coffee makes me smile too, and there’s nothing in it but cream and sugar.

Sara July 13, 2009 at 9:10 am

This is such a happy post! I agree with everything you said about smiling. I also liked what Lori said about a smile being a visual hug…that’s nice:~)

What makes me smile? This post, my cat sleeping upside down with her feet in the air, the birds splashing in my bird bath, my boyfriend, other people smiling, feeling contented, a baby laughing, old pictures of my kids, and…well, just thinking about all the things that make me smile:~)
.-= Sara´s last blog ..Story Photo: What’s next? =-.

Barbara Swafford July 13, 2009 at 9:13 am

Smiles are powerful, aren’t they? One thing I learned long time ago was the importance of smiling when talking on the telephone. In our business I do that when I pick up the phone and many times during the conversation(s). Not only does it feel the other person recognizes it, but often I can tell they’re smiling too.

One thing that makes me smile a lot is when I read the posts of other bloggers. I recall when they started blogging and how far they’ve come, what milestones they’re celebrating (like your first year anniversary), and my smiles just get bigger. It’s always a happy, smile making moment for me. :)
.-= Barbara Swafford´s last blog ..Our Target Audience – Aiming For The Bulls Eye =-.

Davina July 13, 2009 at 9:48 am

Hi Lance. What a fantastic story. Maybe you didn’t win the race, but you were a winner in other ways, and I have to wonder if you were less physically fatigued after this particular race. You are a special man with a special awareness of those around you. These people were included in your experience and smiling back at them acknowledged their support of you. You will remember many more steps of this race than the “winners” will as their race went by in a blur. Thanks Lance for sharing this wonderful memory.

Hi Dani.
I see your smile. Right back atcha! :-) < <<<<<- Did ya see it?

I love your description of a smile -- a visual hug. Perfect!

Hi Miguel.
Thank you :-) I really am smiling while reading each of these comments. It is contagious isn't it?

Hi Stacey.
Kids have the most awesome smiles don't they? They melt hearts; like a massage for the soul.

I loved Lori's description too. Visualizing your cat sleeping upside down with her feet in the air... . These are all great examples Sara. Watching other people smile… that is a biggie. And from what I know about your boyfriend and his sense of humour, I imagine you do a lot of smiling.

You are very kind. I see how you promote other bloggers, encourage them and share valuable information. You send out waves of appreciation in the blogosphere. Even your avatar is smiling. Smiling on the phone is an excellent habit to develop; this can make someone’s day in an instant. I wonder if we practiced this concept while driving, if road rage would lessen?

Caroline July 13, 2009 at 11:14 am

So funny you mention smiling at a dog… I do that all the time with my dogs and it works! I swear I think my dogs smile right back. I love smiling and I smile a lot. I wonder if people think I am gassy…lol. Seriously though, smiling is such a mood lifter!
.-= Caroline´s last blog ..Sit with it… =-.

janice July 13, 2009 at 12:05 pm

My kids make me smile; when they just walk over and hug me for no reason, it’s a closed eyes heart exploding smile. My husband’s twinkly eyes do it for me every time, too. Mad puppies, and whenever I see a rabbit unexpectedly. Millions of things make me smile, even if it’s just with my heart and my eyes.

I have friends abroad I never see, but on the phone, they all have smiley voices.

Oh, and on TV, the actor I think has the most contageous smile at the moment is the guy in The Mentalist. My husband laughs at me because he catches me smiling at the screen whenever the character smiles.

Here’s one just for you! :)
.-= janice´s last blog ..How to Breathe Life Into Your Writing =-.

Vered - MomGrind July 13, 2009 at 1:19 pm

I think all smiles are beautiful and all faces look better when they smile.
.-= Vered – MomGrind´s last blog ..Low Rise Jeans: Five Reasons To Hate Them, One Reason To Love Them =-.

Jannie Funster July 13, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Totally agreed, a smile can change someone’s day. I love smiles!

And since I know you have absolutley nothing else to do. :) here is a link to a cool survey on smiles. (The 20 questions take 10 minutes.)

xo
.-= Jannie Funster´s last blog ..Why we usually eat at home =-.

Betsy Wuebker July 13, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Hi Davina – There’s a reason people who use the phone for business are taught to smile when they do. You can literally hear the smile! Thanks for the reminder of all the power smiles have!
.-= Betsy Wuebker´s last blog ..MORE FROM LINMAR GARDENS =-.

Tess The Bold Life July 13, 2009 at 2:34 pm

I like what Lance has to say. When I run road races I thank the volunteers for coming out. It always makes them smile.

My grandchildren will bring on huge smiles. It’s so contagious and also my husband’s corny humor which I love.

I also enjoy challenging myself to make others smile. I have a quick wit so it’s easy and lot’s of fun. The world needs more smiling people so thanks for this post.
.-= Tess The Bold Life´s last blog ..Mondays = 1/7 of Your Life =-.

Carla July 13, 2009 at 7:43 pm

Not to jump on the bandwagon but this post made me smile too. :) Other than this post, seeing flowers (particularly roses) in bloom makes me smile. I love to smile at people when we are passing each other on the street and they return the gesture.
.-= Carla´s last blog ..Link Love: Bottled water, organic produce and more… =-.

Giovanna Garcia July 13, 2009 at 8:16 pm

Hi Davina
I love smiles. I love when I smile, I love when other smile, I love to bring smile out of people. I feel that smile makes the world a better place, and we can touch one another’s hearts just by smiling. :-)
Great post.
Giovanna Garcia
Imperfect Action is better than No Action

Davina July 13, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Hi Caroline.
I swear dogs smile too! It’s so cute to watch them respond to you isn’t it? Lol, gassy? :-)

Hi Janice.
Thanks for the smile :-) A man with twinkling eyes… that’s on my top 10 list, right up there with a good sense of humour and a husky laugh. Oh you are lucky! Now I’ll have to check out the Mentalist to see what you mean.

Hi Vered.
I agree. A smile is a welcome mat…

Thanks for the link. I’m having trouble viewing it unfortunately. I’ve downloaded “the version” of Flash a couple of times and it’s still not working. Darn!

Hi Betsy.
You’re welcome. I know exactly what you mean when someone smiles over the phone. It makes a LOT of difference.

You with your quick wit and your husband’s corny humour… sounds like a match made in heaven.

Hi Carla.
There’s room for you on this bandwagon. I love those smiles from passing strangers. It’s especially great when they genuinely receive your smile.

Hi Giovanna.
Making other people smile is rewarding. I agree completely… we touch one another’s hearts with a smile. All this… and smiles are free!
.-= Davina´s last blog ..To Smile A Smile =-.

Evelyn Lim July 14, 2009 at 12:28 am

My kids have the loveliest smiles. I often found myself stopping in mid-sentence because I got so mesmerized. My kids are also quite clever. When they want something from me, they put on the most brilliant smiles. I fall for these almost always!
.-= Evelyn Lim´s last blog ..Life Between Lives Regression Therapy Review =-.

Evita July 14, 2009 at 9:15 am

This is beautiful Davina! I think from time to time we all underestimat the power of our smiles!

Indeed it is a universal language to all and the best part it takes almost no effort, is free and can brighten up anybody’s day!

It is also so wonderful to see others smiling and I have noticed it is pretty viral, so why not be the initiator?

As for what makes me smile…oh boy so, so much! It is too long to list here, but the best smile in the world comes from my husband. It melts my heart no matter what time of day or moment.
.-= Evita´s last blog ..Lost In The Lights =-.

Chania Girl July 14, 2009 at 5:18 pm

What a lovely post, and so many lovely comments. There’s nothing I can say that hadn’t already been said. But you asked what makes us smile, and I would have to say my fiance’s smile: it lights up his whole face and brings me such joy. He’s beautiful when he smiles.
.-= Chania Girl´s last blog ..Full of Grace =-.

Liara Covert July 14, 2009 at 8:21 pm

Everyone and everything offer reasons to smile.
.-= Liara Covert´s last blog ..Susan Shumsky & Interview on Divine revelations =-.

Davina July 14, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Hi Evelyn.
I’ve seen pictures of your girls smiling. They are bright lights.

Hi Evita.
Reading your description about your husband’s smile gave me a wide grin. It is such a blessing to have this in your life.

Hi Chania Girl.
We light up when we smile… especially when it is that special someone; double power :-) You are another lucky lady.

Hi Liara.
The possibilities are endless; and even when we’re not trying.

Fred July 15, 2009 at 8:08 am

When I was a kid it seemed I was always smiling. At some point I noticed that had faded and realized it was missed. A real smile just seems to remind you of inner peace, comfort with yourself. Liked you post here, twas a good reminder of what I should be practicing.
.-= Fred´s last blog ..Shaking Up the MBA | Dirty Fingernails Entrepreneurship =-.

patricia July 15, 2009 at 4:05 pm

This post made me smile – Thank you

This spring there was a visiting young monk at the University. Every morning on my walk he would ride his bike down the steep hill to the lake with his robes of crimson and gold flowing all around him…I just had to smile because he was in the moment and in full joy of his ride – rain or shine….and he always had the biggest smile when he saw me…sharing his joy..
Thanks Davina… keep up the corners of your mouth!
.-= patricia´s last blog ..Part II: The case for Eliminating Wall Street =-.

Chris Edgar | Purpose Power Coaching July 15, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Thanks for this Davina. I like the exercise of getting conscious of what’s going on when you’re enjoying yourself. Sometimes I hear the recommendation that we force ourselves to smile and I’ve never been as into that, and this seems like a way to allow smiling to happen more organically and let it work its magic.

John Hoff - WpBlogHost July 15, 2009 at 5:26 pm

What a dark and cruel article.

hehe, just joking. I once read a book about the power of positive thinking. The author wrote about how if you feel really depressed and don’t really feel you have anything to smile about, just lie in bed and smile at the ceiling. What you’ll notice is, you start to feel better.

A job I worked a long time ago in a Casino/Hotel had this rule called the 10/5 rule. 10 feet, make eye contact and smile at a guest; 5 feet, greet them and say hello.

When an entire hotel is doing that, the guests have a whole different experience . . . all from a bunch of smiles.

Ok, now I’m getting all too happy. I need to go watch Fight Club or something ;)

Davina July 16, 2009 at 12:32 am

Hi Fred.
I hear you. This does remind a person of peace and comfort. Smiling can be easily taken for granted can’t it? Especially since it is such a natural thing to do.

What a great story. Imagining this just gave me a lift. Weeeee :-)

You’re welcome. I agree with you completely; forcing a smile is not great. And I’m not a big fan of those who go around telling others to smile either. I think it is interesting to experiment and smile to see how it affects your energy. But to avoid any particular reason for feeling down, by forcing a smile… not good.

Hi John.
You crack me up! And that trick about lying in bed smiling at the ceiling… I can see how that might actually work. Thanks for adding that to the conversation. That Casino/Hotel sounds like a neat place to work… good for business and morale.

Cynthia Christianson July 17, 2009 at 9:10 am

Nice article! There is an exercise video by Taylor and Joanna Hay called Synergetics and they say to smile through the whole 12 minute movement to feel better. I can remember many days after a long day working, putting in the video and being grumpy about smiling. But after I got into it, seeing the two of them smling the whole time, I started smiling too and I really did feel better afterwards.

Thansk for sharing this article. Can’t do enough of smling!
.-= Cynthia Christianson´s last blog ..Hurry Up and Relax! =-.

Hilary July 18, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Yes! And smiles can be so powerful. Doesn’t it make such a difference to your day if a stranger smiles at you in passing?

Frank Marcopolos July 19, 2009 at 11:22 am

For years, people told me to smile more. I started doing so, and it is really almost magical what happens when you smile at folks!
.-= Frank Marcopolos´s last blog ..The Hortlak by Kelly Link (Part 2 of 2) =-.

Davina July 19, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Hi Cynthia.
Thank you, so glad you enjoyed. That exercise video sounds like a great way to spend some workout time.

It sure does! And I know we make a difference when we return the smile. Of course, we also need to give ourselves permission to not smile on those days when it’s just not there for us.

Hi Frank.
When you don’t resist the encouragement to smile it is empowering. When you do, then there is something asking to be taken care of. Sometimes a smile will shed some light on it, sometimes you just gotta go where “it” is to understand better.

Natural July 24, 2009 at 3:38 pm

strangers would walk up to me and tell me to smile. i guess they assume i was not happy. i don’t smile a lot – just for no reason. i do love to laugh a lot.

now i am more likely to smile at someone. i’m a lot more friendly for some reason. maybe i bumped my head.
.-= Natural´s last blog ..I am conductor, hear me cook =-.

Davina July 25, 2009 at 9:03 am

Hi Natural.
From reading your blog I can see that you have a great sense of humour. Maybe you bumped your head, lol. Well I hope you don’t bump it again and potentially reverse things :-)