This Effortless Brilliance This Effortless Brilliance | Shades of Crimson

This Effortless Brilliance

by Davina on January 23, 2010

My mindless indulgence

It’s Saturday and there’s no specific agenda.

Slept in. Languished over a late breakfast of bacon, eggs and fried mashed potatoes, with a good cup of coffee.

Ate breakfast AWAY from the computer after managing to comment on two whole blogs; a drop in the bucket compared to what waits in the Reader.

Did two loads of laundry. Appreciate having clean towels and sheets. Sliding between the sheets tonight will be sweet.

Unclogged the drain of the bathroom sink… again!

Mindlessly tidied up the apartment. Rotated the cushions on the couch. Shook blankets and rugs off the balcony. Swept the balcony.

Methodically swept the apartment floors; all the corners; under the couch; in the closet. I like my apartment.

Turned the radio on real loud for a while to block the noise of the upstairs neighbour’s vacuum cleaner. Damn them!

Returned the two movies watched last night: The Girl in the Park and My Effortless Brilliance. Both movies thoroughly enjoyed.

Returned two empty milk bottles to IGA. For the first time ever, made conversation with the guy in charge of recycling.

Asked him how he was. Our eyes met and locked for a few seconds. I knew he appreciated our chat; even if it was about nothing in particular.

Returned empty wine bottles and received a new loony for the laundry fund.

Took a walk to my bank and cashed in $25 worth of coins from the piggy bank. That piggy bank is over 20 years old.

Made a joke to the lady in line behind me at the bank. We exchanged an understanding smile about having to wait in line, though neither one of us seemed particularly annoyed.

Left the bank and walked to Ed’s Linens to buy a new set of pillow covers. Not too exciting. Great — they’re having a 60% off sale! That’s kind of exciting.

Under a rainbow

Contemplated having a coffee at Tim Horton’s on the way home, but chose to leave the noise of the traffic on West Broadway. I’d make myself a coffee at home and enjoy it in the privacy of my clean and quiet apartment.

Headed to a side street. Good choice; there was a rainbow in the northern sky towards the mountains. I would have missed it otherwise. It was brilliant. Hung in the sky effortlessly. Living colour. Going nowhere in particular.

Stopped at the grocery store to buy a bag of Hawkins Cheezies and munched them on the rest of the way home.

A beautiful black cat met me on the sidewalk and approached for a friendly petting session. He left my side in a hurry with some orange cheezie crumbs on his head. A treat for his paw washing later on.

Arrived home late afternoon feeling strangely and noticeably relaxed. More relaxed than I’d felt in weeks.

Thought about why that was…

Simple: Had spent the day not thinking and trying to analyze everything. Not engaged in trying to fill in awkward space in my life.

I got a heck of a lot of random errands done without even trying. Things just fell into place.

Even better? This was solitude, well lived and appreciated.

Solitude is something easily lost in this busy world. I found it in the middle of the city.

Plans for tonight? This Saturday night?

A little Twitter. A little blog reading.

A lot of coach potato.

Tomorrow? Who knows.

So relaxed.

Sigh…

Photo credit: Nicholas_T

Hilary January 24, 2010 at 1:46 am

Hi Davina .. sounds so good for you. Just that switchoffedness .. then the beauty of the rainbow – I love them too & I love prisms creating them at home – we had them as kids and now I bought some that dangle in front of the window and when the sun’s round their rich colours are there for me, or they fly around if it’s windy!

Saying hello – can be a shock though .. as I found out at Christmas! We have a street cleaner, who has always seemed a nice chap – except he smokes the smelliest cigar ever, constantly hanging from his lips, but all things to all people! Instead of a passing – hi .. and on my way – I stopped and said hello properly and a brief chat .. the next thing I was being hugged and kissed on the cheek .. I managed to extricate myself gracefully and politely disappear .. no harm meant on his part – just complete unexpectedness for me!!

Glad you had such a wonderful day – enjoy Sunday now .. especially after a night between lovely clean sheets – always bliss
Hilary Melton-Butcher
Positive Letters Inspirational Stories
.-= Hilary´s last blog ..A bet on the Eleven Cities Tour or the Winter Olympics being held? =-.

Lance January 24, 2010 at 4:27 am

This really does sound like a wonderful day! And one that was lived without expectation…just filled with moments – how great. I get this real feeling that you were in all of the moments throughout your day – really in them. And look at how you have come out of that – relaxed, at ease. I think that’s a great reminder for all of us…as we go about our days…
.-= Lance´s last blog ..Sunday Thought For The Day =-.

Barb Hartsook January 24, 2010 at 4:48 am

Hi Davina. The Good Book says to rest the seventh day. I once heard a message on this concept, complete with scientific data to support it. Our bodies and brains need to do something different every seven days. Not just to keep us rested, but to keep us motivated, energized, inspired the other six. To keep us from burning out.

I read your post first thing this morning after checking emails and found your day’s log alive and inspiring. You spent the day with your ear-to-the-ground, as Norman Vincent Peale wrote in one of his books. With your senses attuned. Relaxed and munching on sensory data as well as cheezie things.

I thoroughly enjoyed the slowdown of your yesterday. As an artist with words you turned it into poetry…

Betsy Wuebker January 24, 2010 at 5:30 am

Hi Davina – What a delightful read! I was drawn into your day and wanted to live in your life for a while! Ordinary days can be the best days. Completely enjoying these moments that some would think mundane is what mindfulness brings. Thank you.
.-= Betsy Wuebker´s last blog ..When Your Inner Critic is on Steroids =-.

Joanna Young January 24, 2010 at 6:26 am

I love the way you noticed and captured the detail of the little things… they can really help us to feel grounded… and that all’s well in the world.

PS What’s a loony?
.-= Joanna Young´s last blog ..Writing Superheroes =-.

Avani Mehta January 24, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Wow, a day so beautiful – relaxed and yet productive can only happen unplanned. When we make plans, life disrupts everything … or is it the oher way round ;)
.-= Avani Mehta´s last blog ..10 Fabulous Motivators That Inspire You To Take Action – Part II =-.

Positively Present January 24, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I was just thinking I was being lazy today, but now I realize that this is a wonderful, relaxing day for me to enjoy. I’m going to take it all in. Thanks for inspiring me with this post!
.-= Positively Present´s last blog ..words to live by: live like we’re dying =-.

Lori Hoeck January 24, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Like Betsy, I was drawn in to your day. For me it was the simplicity and the lack of mental clutter. Those are wonderful days.
.-= Lori Hoeck´s last blog ..Go beyond Think Like a Black Belt to being one =-.

Davina January 24, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Lol. I never had that night between those clean sheets. Fell asleep on the couch and stayed there all night. Have you seen that street cleaner since? I wonder what you will expect the next time. :-D

Hi Lance.
I think you’re right. I was *really* in each of these moments. Usually on those days, tackling the “to-do” list is exhausting. This time it was quite the opposite.

Hi Barb.
Maybe it was the cheezies! It’s funny because that day felt like a rest and yet so much was accomplished. You’ve made a good point here. Most of what I did that day was something I don’t do all that often. I’m glad you found this inspiring. I figured I’d risk putting out what might very well be my most boring post ever :-)

Hi Betsy.
Cool. “Good enough” *was* good enough. That was a satisfying day. Strangely refreshing too. Guess you could say that my inner critic was on holidays ;-)

Hi Joanna.
A loony is a $1 coin; just realized I spelled it wrong — should be loonie. This is one of those words that I always want to spell a certain way for whatever reason. Feeling grounded is a good way to describe this kind of day. Details; I can still see those orange crumbs on the top of that cat’s head :-D

Hi Avani.
A friend once said to me, “We make our schedule, and then God makes it better.”

Hi Dani.
You’re welcome. Have a great lazy day!

The lack of mental clutter made all the difference. Did I go beyond “Thinking like a black belt?” :-D

vered | blogger for hire January 24, 2010 at 6:08 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this! How can you make the mundane sound so blissful and appealing? It’s probably a combination of truly enjoying your day, and of being such a gifted writer.

My day was stressful – we had an ant invasion in our kitchen. The little buggers were trying to escape the wet soil I imagine, now completely soaked after a full week of nonstop rain. But why into my kitchen??

Evening should be fairly relaxed though. And something about your post made me appreciate the little things again.
.-= vered | blogger for hire´s last blog ..High Heels Sexy? =-.

Rose January 24, 2010 at 11:55 pm

Davina sounds like you had a great day & got a lot done. I’m going to send you some Hawkins Cheezies.
.-= Rose´s last blog ..How to Use Google Wonder Wheel =-.

Barbara Swafford January 25, 2010 at 2:24 am

Mmmmm! That sounds like a perfect day. No fuss, no hassles, just taking things as they come. Your story is a great reminder to appreciate those little things in life… and the rainbows, too.
.-= Barbara Swafford´s last blog ..Numbers – A Love Hate Relationship =-.

BK January 25, 2010 at 4:38 am

That rainbow will be enough to make my day. I remember the days when I saw rainbow; they always end up well.
.-= BK´s last blog ..How Do We Know We Have Found the Right One? =-.

patricia January 25, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Lovely day and a great read. Refreshing with promise…nice
and jobs complete so not niggling the back of the neck…or setting up guilt.
Nice….working on sighing for real…

Letting go is very hard….and yet what I truly must do….release…ah Maybe if I thought that included cheese doodles? Nope au natural for me…
.-= patricia´s last blog ..An Idea to Ponder =-.

Davina January 26, 2010 at 12:20 am

Hi Vered.
I think it sounded so blissful and appealing because that’s how I was feeling :-D Don’t recall having such a “busy” day and feeling so relaxed after. It’s usually the opposite. Ants? In YOUR kitchen? They must be delirious. Based on those photos I saw of your home, there wouldn’t be a crumb to be had. They are pests…

Hi Rose.
Yes please. Send me some Hawkins Cheezies! :)

It was perfect in the sense that a lot got done and that I was okay with not vegging on the couch. I actually felt like cleaning and running errands. Guess the planets were aligned favourably :)

Hi BK.
Yeah, what IS it about rainbows? They kinda grab your attention don’t they?

Not too often I actually feel like doing all those things either. I still have to fold the towels though… 2 days later :-D What are you wanting to let go of? Shoulds?

Jim January 26, 2010 at 1:14 am

You always make a great breakfast. I had to laugh about the vaccum cleaner from hell. With your noisy neighbour’s downstairs. It reminds me of a great song. “Stuck In The Middle With You”
I have never been able to get a picture of a rainbow yet. Oh and Hawkins Cheezies are so addictive. It’s so nice when your day, just falls into place.
I guees the real secret is how to get that to happen everyday.

patricia January 26, 2010 at 12:34 pm

letting go of my old life and attitudes, which were extensions of my childhood – I want to live my life with my values now….and let go of the old tapes….I also want to let go of FAT.

I was such a happy person as a child and enjoyed life’s work and routines…
I always found something to enjoy in the tasks…like the smell of clean laundry and things off the line. Now I seem to come to these tasks with dread….I want to accomplish, well, something I want to do…with joy not so much intensity.
I was criticized so much for being silly or too emotional….I now feel flat
.-= patricia´s last blog ..An Idea to Ponder =-.

Patty - Why Not Start Now? January 26, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Hi Davina – This is my first visit; I clicked over from Sara’s site. I’ve seen your smiling face here and there on comments, and I’m so glad I followed it today! I just love the simplicity of this piece. What I take from it is that all those small moments of our days add up to be quite something. Certainly, a day well lived when we are paying attention to those moments. Very inspiring. Thank you!
.-= Patty – Why Not Start Now?´s last blog ..Meaning Mondays: The Hummingbird Edition =-.

Tess The Bold Life January 26, 2010 at 5:08 pm

I love it…sounds like a perfect Saturday.

The way you describe the rainbow is awesome
“t was brilliant. Hung in the sky effortlessly. Living colour. Going nowhere in particular.”

Thanks for sharing your day…any Cheezies left?
Tess ox
.-= Tess The Bold Life´s last blog ..The Time Of My Life =-.

Davina January 27, 2010 at 12:19 am

Hi Jim.
That vacuum cleaner serenaded my brother and I while we ate Christmas dinner. Luvly! Something tells me that the secret to this happening every day is not expecting it to happen every day.

Thank you for clarifying. When you let go of all these things what will be left? Or better yet, what will be revealed to you? You are welcome to send me an email Patricia if you want to share further… I’m open to exploring this and being supportive in any way I can.

Hi Patty.
Nice to see you over here. :-) That’s true what you say; paying attention to those moments… all adds up to something more. Better than trying to get through one moment while in a hurry to get the next. That just leaves you empty and always on the run.

Heh, heh… the Cheezies lasted surprisingly longer than usual. Just finished them tonight.

sheila January 27, 2010 at 9:23 am

Hi! I’m over from Jannie’s! BEAUTIFUL pics you post on your blog! Stunning!
.-= sheila´s last blog ..Killer Icicles =-.

Jodi at Joy Discovered January 27, 2010 at 9:32 am

Hi Davina!
What a great post! What a great Saturday! You make such a great point about solitude and the happy life. We can overanalyse ourselves to death–even with the best intentions! How wonderful that you were mindful and joyful and just in the flow of your day.
Cheers to you! Jodi
.-= Jodi at Joy Discovered´s last blog ..A Small Dose of Self-Care =-.

Sara January 27, 2010 at 11:33 am

Davina — Oh, am I late to this one. It is amazing how the simple chores of life can be so relaxing. Our mind is occupied with whatever we need to do and we’re left with space to just BE for awhile.

My favorite line in this post was this one: “I love how sometimes Mother Nature paints a symmetrical picture to a moment in life.” It was so perfect for the moments of your life you shared with us — simple, but beautiful. I hope you had a very relaxing Saturday night:~)
.-= Sara´s last blog ..Picture Story: Celebrate Good Times =-.

Jannie Funster January 27, 2010 at 11:44 am

Woke to harp / vibrate sound on my iPhone alarm.

6:30

Checked my blog.

Filled cat food bowl.

Did the car transfer paperwork for Jim, a 2002 BMW Z-3 for a man by the last name of Johnson.

Made the child’s lunch — banana, goldfish crackers, almonds and her insulated Campbell’s Soup Bowl full of Stouffers Swedish Meatballs.

Got her awake.

Posted today’s post.

Left for school in sweatsuit I slept in last night.

Stopped for our Chick Filet breakfast, drive-thru.

I had coffee only.

Got the fruit cup for her lunch.

Saw no rainbows.

Dropped her off.

Drove home.

Computered.

Ate a banana.

Felt a bit overwhelmed at how many blogs I had not visited lately.

Second-guessed if I should actually be on my MWF posting schedule, or should go back to the olde post-when-I feel-like-it routine. Thought I’d keep at the schedule another 2 months, see how it affects my Analytics stats, if any.

Felt a little sad. Hormonal?

Visited and commented on a lot of blogs.

Had eggrolls (4) chicken, with plum sauce for lunch (well, breakfast, as I had only had that banana and coffee.) Ate them at computer, with a glass of calcium-fortified o.j.

And here I am.

Now feeling a little better for sharing.

(And wonder why the eff my second-last post has been showing on Comment Love all day, instead of my current post.)

Smiled.

And in 3, 2, 1, hit Submit.

now
.-= Jannie Funster´s last blog ..(And I Thought “Leaven” Was Just A Bread-Baking Thing!!) =-.

Hilary January 27, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Hi Davina .. I think you might need to learn to do some leapfrogging around after Jannie’s post .. sounds hairy scary to me!! No push ups though, no dumb-bells, no walks, no blue bunnies .. missing a few bits!

Cheers to you both … H
.-= Hilary´s last blog ..Haggis, Whisky and Poetry .. means only one thing "Robbie Burns" =-.

Davina January 27, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Hi Sheila.
Hey thanks! Glad you popped by for a visit. I’ve been pretty lucky with Flickr.com for most of the images.

Hi Jodi.
Good ol analysis paralysis! It all starts out rather harmless too… with simple curiosity. :-)

Yes, I find the simple chores can be relaxing when we actually *want* to do them :-) Nothing like forcing yourself to do something to put a damper on the day. I had a VERY relaxing evening. Fell asleep on the couch and stayed there all night!

“You smiled?” Me too! :-) Because of this comment of yours. Holeee! I noticed your “little sad” was sandwiched between being overwhelmed by blogging and visiting a lot of blogs. Wondering if there’s a connection. Oh good grief… there I go analyzing again!!! Hormonal? :-)

Lol… no blue bunnies… they’re moving at breakneck speed I’m guessing; all a blur. Hairy scary, oh yeah :-D

Jannie Funster January 29, 2010 at 10:57 am

Wait, you hormonal for analyzing?? :)

Feeling much better today. Visited a A LOT of blogs Wednesday. Wednesdays and Fridays are my long days to myself, as Kelly stays for fun and games after school until 5:30.

Whoo-hoo!!!

.-= Jannie Funster´s last blog ..The Queen Of Remodeling Patience, Chapter 1 — “Front Room” View-A =-.

Davina January 29, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Hah! I think I’m hormonal AND analyzing :-) A whole day just for you. What a treat. Man, I’m so behind in visiting blogs — I envy you.

Chris Edgar January 29, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Now of course I’m curious about what the sigh was about! Or do you intend to keep us in suspense until chapter 2 of this saga?

Hulbert January 30, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Hi Davina, it’s always nice to hear what another person’s day like in the world. I’ve always wondered how it would be like to live in a city of America (I live in the suburban). It seems like life is very busy there and you were able to relax and find peace in the middle of the city. :)
.-= Hulbert´s last blog ..Trust Your Intuition – How I Almost Joined a Pyramid Scheme =-.

Davina January 30, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Hah, hah. The sigh was just me relaxing even more :-D

Hi Hulbert.
Life does get busy. It’s funny these days too because we have so many modern conveniences, yet we seem to have even less time to do what we want. Go figure.

Julie Walraven February 1, 2010 at 11:42 am

Relaxing takes an effort for me lately, Davina so reading your message has given me pause for thought. I like that you took the day off from being analytical and sounds like you enjoyed it. Thanks for the reminder!
.-= Julie Walraven´s last blog ..Plan Ahead or Prepare to Fail =-.

Sara February 1, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Davina — I know I already left a comment, but I decided to revisit this post. I’m glad I did. I don’t often go back and re-read a post, but perhaps it’s a good idea because you see new things.

This time, your line…”Solitude is something easily lost in this busy world.” really caught my eye. This is so true. We don’t take enough time to enjoy solitude. Actually, we’re taught not to…we always supposed to be with someone or in a group…solitude is kind of frowned on, but it has so much potential. It’s a time to touch base and become a better friends with ourselves.

So, thank you again for this post:~)
.-= Sara´s last blog ..Picture Story: Photo Playing =-.

Taru Fisher February 1, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Hi Davina: As you know, I just found your blog after following you on Twitter for a few months. I’m grateful I finally dug deeper. What you say really resonates with me and where I’m at right now in my life. At 67, I have been creating a life of stress and exhaustion, forgetting to take pleasure in the lovely things that present themselves each day for our enjoyment. I recently realized that I want to slow down, let things flow into me instead of pushing the river. I had to stop comparing myself to the 30 and 40-somethings I so admire for their energy and commitment to success. What is success, anyway? I know from experience it is not what we are led to believe it is – I know it is found in each precious moment of awareness when I am silent and present. And when I am in fully and totally in that precious moment, all is as it should be; all is well and right and no place to go but here, now.

Thank you for reminding me of that. I love days like you described, and they have been few and far between for too long. It’s time; now is the time.
.-= Taru Fisher´s last blog ..The iPad is not for geeks; It is for us! =-.

Davina February 2, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Hi Julie.
Relaxing takes an effort. What a contradiction! There’s some food for thought… or… pause for thought :)

I love how you’ve put this… about taking the time to become better friends with ourselves. By forcing ourselves to BE in a group or with people out of “need” rather than choice is like we’re not giving ourselves enough credit. And in that case, what kind of person are we being when we ARE with those other people? Everybody is being cheated…

Hi Taru.
Nice to see a Twitter buddy in my comment section :-D When I read your comment what occurred to me was that the life of stress is about doing, accomplishing and measuring things — bringing stuff TO us. The slowing down and letting things flow is about us letting stuff OUT of us.

“It’s time: now IS the time.” :-)

Tony Single February 17, 2010 at 5:22 pm

“Effortless brilliance” indeed!

Where I live, I go to the City Gardens every once in a while. There’s something quieting about being amongst the trees that calms me right down. I don’t mean that in any mystical, new agey way (no disrespect intended towards those who’re into that)… but simply the act of being somewhere that I like can be a real pleasure.

I’m trying to live life small these days. I find that that’s all I can handle. And maybe that’s not such a bad thing. :)
.-= Tony Single´s last blog ..The Ant and the Cicada =-.

Davina February 17, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Hi Tony.
You’re right about that. There is just something about trees that is relaxing.
And the sound of the wind in the trees is comforting in a huge way.

I think the whole new agey thing has become that way because people are copycatting each other. It sounds so good that everybody wants it, but they put too much focus on what everybody else is in to or doing, or how to do it the “right” way. “Monkey see, monkey do.” That’s my take.

{ 1 trackback }