Timothy Hay Timothy Hay | Shades of Crimson

Timothy Hay

by Davina on September 3, 2010

Writing Challenge #10

Two days after the deadline for this creative writing challenge I received a last-minute entry. I relaxed my rule — after all, how could I say no to Jannie Funster?!

So, last but not least we have a future timeless classic; a fantasy romance entitled “Timothy Hay.” Jannie will take your inner child on a wondrous journey that will delight your soul and leave your heart singing. You’ll delight in visions of imaginary creatures, twirling and tumbling through timothy hay under sweet-smelling, hazy August sunshine.

Here is what Jannie said about the process:

“For me this guest posting process was fun! It was surprising how ideas wove themselves together from unexpected angles as I chose a random order for the nine words.”

Jerome the giraffe
was disappointed
in his typography
since his font fairy’s
untimely death, but
he thought it extra swell
that a fly named Rena
who lived in his art closet
and had recently planted a
magnitude of timothy hay
should fall in love with him.

Above is a photo of Jannie’s daughter Kelly and her cousin Alyssa at her dad’s farm in 2006.  A big load of timothy hay for dad’s horses!

Thanks Jannie :-) This was adorable and true Jannie Funster fun; right down to the photograph. It’s amazing how limitless the imagination can be, even when given a structure to work inside of. I wish I’d been a fly on the wall to watch you put this together. The way you describe this almost has me comparing the words to different notes and how you might play with their arrangement while writing a song. Can you compare these two processes? Are they similar?

* * * * * * * *

In conclusion

This concludes the 10 submissions that were received for this creative writing challenge. On Sunday I will post my version of these nine words in addition to another one that was written with a different set of nine words, should any of you like to practice some more. Of course, you can always choose your own words.

I am both thrilled and grateful for each of you who stepped up to the plate to play with those nine words. It was a delight each time I received another entry in my inbox. Grinning from ear to ear I would gobble up your words… counting (heh, heh) and making sure that you used all NINE words! You guys were awesome. Wonderful imaginations and unlimited creativity. Thank you for writing.

And to the rest of you… thank you for reading and commenting. I know these artists appreciated your support. If you missed any of the 10 submissions, here is a recap with Jannie’s of course, at the beginning of this post.

You’re Killing Me With Typography by Allison — Mariko

Acts of a Thief and Bishop by Rebecca — WritingBec’s

New Reality Show Coming to a Tree Near You by Sara — A Sharing Connection

Memories by Eliza — Silver & Grace

A Certain Type of Mystery by Hilary — Positive Letters

Sitting on Top of the World by Julie — JBulie’s Blog – An Online Journal

Quitting the Challenge by Raul Alien Ghost

The Fishing Trip by Linda — From Roses to Rainbows

Butterflies and Glitter by Joy — Unfolding Your Path to Joy

I’ll leave you with a quote to ponder, the next time you’re feeling a little writer’s block:

“Good writing begins when there is a knot.” ~ Margaret Atwood

vered September 3, 2010 at 9:04 am

Jannie just might be the next Dr. Seuss!
.-= vered´s last blog ..“It’s Fun Killing People” =-.

Davina September 3, 2010 at 9:11 am

LOL, Vered.
I think you might be right :)

Hilary September 3, 2010 at 9:42 am

Hi Davina and Jannie – “Mighty clever that the hay wagon popped out of the closet at the right time, as timothy grass matures so well, then is swiftly dealt the death knell. Pity that Alyssa and Kelly aren’t Jerome and Rena – but becoming a fly and a giraffe would definitely be possible in a story. The magnitude of opportunities in a typographical tale has a swell of proportion .. to ensure a happy ending.” (71 words)

But No .. The End cometh on Sunday … looking forward to yours .. loved this whole post and the tale with the hay wain .. anotehr completely different slant on the nine words .. it’s wonderful what the mind will do .. but I bet the photo just kinda made itself known – just in time .. great picture ..

Thanks Davina .. loved it .. Bye and enjoy the long weekend .. Hilary
.-= Hilary´s last blog ..Emoticons- Book Packaging- ebooks what was the future- is now the past =-.

Patricia September 3, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Oh a funster original….more silly and clever wrapped up in a delightful read…and her star in the picture…..the total load!

Davina this was such a fun experience and I am excitedly anticipating your contribution…but I will not write on Sunday or comment…I am going to try turning and stay off the computer completely on Sundays this fall….Words forthcoming on Monday or Tuesday….
I am also going to help Library Girl re-arrange her new library this weekend…a bit of a shift to make it more child centered and to give me an out of house experience :)

Have a great weekend all…

Joy September 3, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Aren’t rules made to be bent, especially your own??

Hi Jannie,
Amazing.. As always..Man I wished you lived nearby…but you don’t so I delight in everything you share online..Thank you for such delight:)
.-= Joy´s last blog ..Wednesday Wisdom- The Power and Magic of Words =-.

Linda September 3, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Jannie, this was really a fun read. So light and happy, and just one sentence, too. Sounds like you had fun with this one.

Davina, looking forward to yours on Sunday. Good luck with the novel! ;)

Davina September 3, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Hi Hilary,
You’re too funny. That was a great one! I’m thinking you’re enjoying these writings. Jannie is perhaps your muse? :-) Or was it the giraffe? LOL. That’s right, the last version of these short stories will be on Sunday. Have a great long weekend, too.

Patricia.
Very clever — I agree. I’ll be thinking of you doing your Happy Dance at the library this weekend. I think that is a great idea to pick a day to stay off the computer completely. Good for you! Your blog will hold down the fort for a day while you play.

Hi Joy.
Yes they are. And I’m glad this rule was broken. :)

Linda,
You know, you’re right… it was JUST one sentence! I hadn’t noticed that. Wooo Jannie :-) Thanks for the encouragement re the novel. I’m at this minute, working on a story line that has potential — finally. I’m not starting the writing until I have the story structure established. The writing will fill in the blanks once that’s done… Have a great weekend Linda. Once I’m through this 3-day writing marathon I’ll be back around to visiting and commenting again. I have a feeling these days will fly by.

Tony Single September 4, 2010 at 5:47 am

Brilliant feature, Davina. I think it’s been a storming success, don’t you? Such talented writers here in the blogosphere! :D

Oh, and Jannie, Davina’s right. That was just adorable! Anything with a giraffe for a character makes me chuckle like a loon on laughing gas. :P

Davina September 4, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Tony,
It’s been a STORMING success. Great choice of words. I’m glad you’ve followed along, sir. There are a lot of talented writers in the blogosphere… you included :)

Jannie Funster September 4, 2010 at 8:41 pm

My dearest Davina,

I was prodigal
2 days late
You took me in
Forgave me my sins,
Rounding us to 10.

In songwriting the notes of melody find me
like rivers find oceans, and mosquitoes find me.
Words take their time more than the melodies.
Luckily there are plenty of words to choose from! :)

I LOVED this project.

The biggest thing I learned is to honor deadlines, and would love the opportunity to do another 9 words of your choosing, funner when the words come from someone else I think.

xo

And Davina, wasn’t the giraffe in The Friendly Giant named Jerome?

And the rooster Rusty?

.-= Jannie Funster´s last blog ..Is it too late =-.

Davina September 5, 2010 at 12:34 am

You’re so good! :-)
There’s another nine words coming up in the last post of this series. I’d love to see what you do with them.

You’re an anomaly in my books. I used to try to write melodies when I was studying the piano. That was the hardest part! And you just do it like a natural. You’re a songwriter by blood… and no pun intended re your mention of mosquitoes, lol. What a gift you have, Jannie.

I remember the Friendly Giant well — Jerome and Rusty. I can hear that flute music playing now. Wonder how long THAT melody will swim around in my head :-)

Jim September 6, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Some rules are meant to be broken…
I’m glad that Jannie’s story got in.
A nice imaginative fun read.
I use to watch the Friendly Green Giant too.
Oops! I have just blown my cover of being 29 again.

Hilary September 6, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Hi Jim .. got your typing finger back I see! Loved all your comments – which came up in a flurry this morning when I logged on ..

I’m sure you’ve got a tale in you somewhere .. it’s only 100 words .. and you typed with your one finger more than that today (last night!) ..

Give it a bash .. would love to see number 11 …especially as you’ll have to hibernate a bit more .. now we know you’re over 29 .. and join the rest of us hobbling around?!

Enjoy the week .. and I hope Davina ..you’ve succeeded in your challenge .. been thinking of you thinking and tapping away ..

with thoughts – Hilary

Davina September 7, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Jim,
I’m glad Jannie jumped on the… er hay wagon, too :) This was a really cute version. Well… you can’t be that old if you still remember the Friendly Giant, lol.

Hilary,
I did… I did! I succeeded! I’m SOOOO happy today. Thank you for cheering me on, Hilary. Your positive thoughts are appreciated :-) Hope you’re having an awesome day over there on the other side of the pond.

Hilary September 7, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Hi Davina .. WELL DONE! New day here – damp and ‘miserable’ ..but freshness. Congratulations on putting it all together .. must have been a mammoth challenge – but so worth while just doing it ..

Now let’s send positive energy for the winning post – lots of energy time til January .. that’s when it is isn’t? No doubt should aim for before Christmas .. with energy waves humumgous.

Well done – enjoy today too .. when the time comes! H

Davina September 8, 2010 at 12:22 am

Thank you. It WAS a mammoth challenge. There were a couple of moments when I didn’t think I was going to pull it off. The experience was unbelievable. Surreal. I’ll accept that positive energy for the winning submission. I’m not holding my breath, but I suppose I have as much a chance as anybody else.

Cheerio. Stay dry :)

Jim September 9, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Hi Hilary,
You will be proud of me. I use two fingers now.
I must be up to a blistering 12-15 wpm now.
Yup, I do have a few tales. One day.
PS
I’m still 29.

Hilary September 9, 2010 at 11:12 pm

Hi Jim .. thanks for coming back to me .. well done .. two fingers! – not a thumb? & rip roaring along at 12 to 15 words per minute .. faster than a horse walks?!

Only one day .. why not now? before you reach 30?! or the years rapidly catch up faster than a sputnik into space?!

One day – ok ..I’ll wait .. but not for long! How about the Spring – a winter to prepare .. your two fingered approach might have got as far as 20 wpm …. or you could splutter into some machine & let someone else’s dextrous fingers do the ‘qwerty walking’?

Cheers – have a good weekend .. Hilary —- Oh! Friday first ..

Barbara Swafford September 10, 2010 at 12:27 am

Another good entry Davina.

Leave it to Jannie to turn this challenge into a poem. She’s so good at poetry, but I really think she should have written a song using the nine words and provided a video of her singing. :) She rocks!
.-= Barbara Swafford´s last blog ..Blog For Sale =-.

Davina September 10, 2010 at 10:18 am

*waves hi to Jim and Hilary* :-)

Barbara,
Jannie does rock! :) I bet she *could* write some music to this and make a video of her singing it — maybe if we asked her real nice. Or maybe her daughter could sing this one. That would be cute.

Jim September 11, 2010 at 1:18 am

Hi Hilary

I think I could type faster than a horse if it used only two hoofs.
One guy in my computer training could type 67 wpm with two fingers.
I’m so jealous of Davina’s 100 plus wpm.
I do have voice dictation, which I do not use. I need to improve my keyboarding.
My story would have to be a real life experience.
Enjoy your weekend.

Hilary September 11, 2010 at 1:32 am

Hi Jim .. a prancing horse .. that would be interesting v a typist!

I t’ink the powers that be (medics) worry about the kids using only two fingers or thumbs for ever .. it’s already proven re the thumb .. those impressive digits are evolving ..

Who knows .. all those people who looked down on us typists in the 70s and 80s .. some are eating their ancient words .. however I definitely don’t type as fast as I used to and am more inaccurate .. I guess the brain and fingers don’t quite tally .. but am mighty grateful I know how to type!

It would be really interesting to hear more of your tales in the trails, forests and mountains .. & lakes & seas etc .. and the bits of ancient knowledge you’ve absorbed along the way ..

I’m thinking of using my recording equipment – as I can speak when I’m up at Mum’s .. though she can now hear again! I just hope it sticks around now (at least for a while) .. because if she can’t read, or hear .. life is very difficult for her .. and me!

Thanks for replying .. good to hear from you .. have a good weekend, when it arrives .. Hilary

Jeanne September 11, 2010 at 2:07 pm

It is impossible to say no to Jannie Funster. ;)

If ever there was anyone with a limitless imagination, it would be Jannie!!

Jeanne
.-= Jeanne´s last blog ..World Suicide Prevention Day September 10- 2010 =-.

Davina September 11, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Jim/Hilary
I’m grateful for having learned how to type. We’d be lost without it; even Jim; he still gets by. Voice dictation would be hard to get used to. We’d have to learn to talk real well or we’d be doing a lot of editing. :)

Hi Jeanne.
That’s for sure; Jannie has a limitless imagination. Her spunk is pretty limitless too, lol. Thanks for stopping by my blog; nice to see you here :)

Hilary September 12, 2010 at 12:25 am

Hi Davina .. and Jim .. re the dictating .. and recording thereof .. it’s not the serious complete finished words .. it’s just that at least the stories are down and available to others .. ie my uncle and my mother too .. I tried with my uncle to record some of our history & he was used to dictating .. but no he wouldn’t! He did a bit .. but sadly not enough .. My mother, I can’t bring up various topics as I don’t want to disturb her .. she’s trapped and therefore I keep as light as I can .. She was ‘in a negative mode’ on Friday .. as she said & yes – she can hear again .. thank goodness .. but these are the times I find very difficult ..

So it’s the getting the story down .. Jim – that I was really suggesting .. you can fluff it up later – but without letting them out .. they’ll never get out – especially the wilderness ones … would be lovely.

Thanks – enjoy today .. Hilary

Davina September 12, 2010 at 10:03 am

Oh, I get it now. I misunderstood. That makes sense now. Dictation is a step up from typing, just as typing is a step up from journalling. Sometimes while I’ve been journalling the ideas come so fast that I give up and hit the keyboard.

Hilary September 12, 2010 at 11:06 am

Hi Davina .. thanks .. yes .. it’s an alternative – not an end all .. especially in this day and age when so many men probably have “done” dictating and us lot have typed for Africa ..

As you say it’s using whatever methods are available .. but so many stories and tales, and history will be lost if we can’t get our relatives and friends to utilise whatever is easiest for them.

If I could have sat with my uncle .. I could have taken notes .. etc – but with Mum in a Nursing Home .. I simply couldn’t do both .. or one properly .. & he had so many stories to tell .. I tried to persuade him .. his brother-in-law (my father’s brother) gave me some dictation to a film made in the 20s & 30s .. but it wasn’t the same .. I did translate it ..

It’s not the same as their knowledge – and that’s the important thing .. some don’t give value to themselves .. some realise that value .. but too late!

So if Jim can put his stories down somehow .. it would be wonderful .. hint hint ..

Cheers .. I too turn to the keyboard .. but for my stories etc .. Hilary

Jannie Funster September 12, 2010 at 3:59 pm

i remember the flute music too!! Thinking of it could make me fall asleep now, but I better not until after I post this. :)

hey, and remember Mr Dressup — Casey and Finnigan?? :)

.-= Jannie Funster´s last blog ..And Now She Is 9 =-.

Davina September 13, 2010 at 12:46 am

Hilary,
I feel the SAME way! I wish I had sat down with my grandmother and my mother to take notes. Both of them passed away many years ago and so much lost that didn’t have to be. Oh well.

Jannie,
Casey and Finnigan, yep :-) And… was it… Mrs. Bird? LOL. I’m thinking of Mr. Dressup now.

Hilary September 13, 2010 at 10:00 am

Hi Davina .. now when it’s too late – we think of it! But we can still do it .. for our relatives and friends .. people who might be interested in our ideas, our story ..

Thanks – H

Davina September 13, 2010 at 11:13 am

Hilary,
You’re right. Actually, my brother wants me to start recording things for him and I can’t seem to find the time. Gee whiz!

Hilary September 13, 2010 at 11:18 am

Hi Davina .. get it on tape first? – quicker perhaps for now .. I can understand the time element .. I know with my uncle’s things I took forever .. so I never had time for me .. as I had Mum too – not much changed yet?! Still I’m standing upright and somewhat more with it than I was .. cheers H

Davina September 13, 2010 at 6:51 pm

He and I should schedule some interview sessions over coffee. We could combine reminiscing and recording. He would appreciate your idea. Thanks, Hilary.

Jim September 14, 2010 at 7:01 pm

The voice dictation I have goes into word. Then word can spell check it and do some grammar. The only way for it look professional, would be to have Davina edit and proof read it.
I like your idea of voice recording, to get the ball rolling.

Hilary September 14, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Hi Jim.. that would be even better .. especially if you pulled out the awful translations that will occur at times?! Then it can “sit” .. and be got to in due course .. a bit like now – buried in the attic – .. but it would be put down.

I wish my uncle had done his .. I tried .. but sadly he needed company more than writing his memoirs – he had reached that age & I quite understood .. but it is something we will all (nephews and nieces) sorely miss ..

So excellent to hear the ball is rolling .. even if slowly – the hay wagon above has stopped rolling for a while .. but it’s full?!

Cheers Hilary – from a lovely sunny morning here on the coast ..
.-= Hilary´s last blog ..Misalliance to veer to the left- or to veer to the right! =-.