The Write Impact Writers’ Workshop The Write Impact Writers’ Workshop | Shades of Crimson

The Write Impact Writers’ Workshop

by Davina on October 13, 2010

Write to the point

A writer with writer’s block is a writer on the wrong side of a box. Imagine stepping out of that box and looking at it from other angles; shifting your perspective.

Pick it up and turn it around in your hands. You can see the bottom, all four sides, inside and out. You can flatten it, rebuild it and put things inside it. It can be of use to you instead of imprisoning you. Story structure offers the same opportunity to a writer.

Story structure is a tool that helps a writer sharpen their focus and zero in on the point they want to make. It is a foundation that creates the space where thinking can rest, freeing the imagination to design characters and sketch out the story.

Using story structure as a tool will deepen a writer’s exploration of the story, their connection with their characters and the reader. It is a craft that requires practice and understanding.

An invite to The Write Impact

The Write Impact is a workshop I’ve designed for writers who are interested in learning and practicing the craft of story structure. Through this practice and with the support of a small group of writers, you will develop an understanding of how story structure can support your writing process.

Writers will practice:
Creating a model that is adaptable to the writing.
Pacing their writing by focusing on different plot points.
Using structure to feed the story and inspire the imagination.

During the workshop all forms of writing are encouraged to illustrate a given scene; even poetry. The idea is to practice shifting perspectives and cultivating characters in relation to the plot points in the story structure. Participants may develop an anthology of prose, a series of blog posts, a short story or even a novel idea.

The Write Impact experience

Each week, participants will receive a short scene written by myself, plus a series of questions to direct their focus toward writing that scene to different plot points. For more information on plot points and story structure, refer to “For the Love of Story Structure”.

This process will show writers how each plot point influences the writing and changes the impact on the characters. Once you have decided which section of the story structure you will write the scene to, you may choose to write the rest of that scene, the scene that precedes it, the following scene or a complete story outline.

You will be encouraged to view the scene from as many different angles as possible. For example, you may write from the perspective of a character who is observing the scene or as the character’s internal dialogue while they reflect on a memory.

You will not necessarily be writing a novel, unless you are inspired with an idea for one. You may choose to develop one story idea over the four-week period or practice using story structure with a new scene each week. The level of commitment is up to you.

Group members will share their writing with each other in a private online workshop space. They will support and comment on each others work and are encouraged, as time allows, to contribute short scenes for the group’s use each week.

The Write Impact package and registration

In addition to four different scenes, you will also receive:

1. A detailed story structure outline.*
2. A “beat sheet” to use while creating and recording story outlines.*
3. A draft copy of Serious Undulations and its story structure outline. This is confidential and offered only to participants as a study guide.

*Adapted and used with permission from Larry Brooks at Storyfix.com

The starting date of the workshop is Sunday, November 7th.

Space is limited to 12 participants. There is a minimum of 8 participants required for the workshop to commence, so tell your friends. Once you have sent payment, you will receive an email with a Welcome Package and further instructions.

Cost of the four-week workshop is $60 or $15/week.‡

If you have fully participated in the workshop and are not satisfied, your money will be refunded. Simply notify me by December 12th.

I look forward to sharing The Write Impact space with you.

Click on Buy Now to sign up and then wait for your confirmation email and Welcome Package. If you need to contact me with questions, please email davina <at> shadesofcrimson <dot> com

PS Credit for the design of The Write Impact advatar goes to Barbara Swafford of Blogging Without A Blog. It is fabulous!

Betsy Wuebker October 13, 2010 at 4:22 am

Hi Davina – This is the great leap you mentioned on Facebook! How awesome! I know I’ve mentioned to you that I think this is a fabulous fit for your skills and interests. Good on ya for taking the plunge! I can’t participate – my truth is stranger than any fiction, but fortunately, or unfortunately as the case may be, heh heh, individuals who are still living preclude me from the story-telling – but I will be cheering you on from the “biggest fan section.” Congratulations!!!!
.-= Betsy Wuebker´s last blog ..Plentiful Pumpkins =-.

Wendi Kelly October 13, 2010 at 6:26 am

congratulations Davina, I hope you have a great deal of success with this project. You know that Deb and I absolutely believe in story structure as we wrote our novel with it, following Larry’s rules down to the letter, going so far as to plot every important point on a chart and making sure we hit each one at the exact right time in the book.

I would highly recommend anyone interested in improving their writing to take a workshop on structure like this. Brilliant!

Tess The Bold Life October 13, 2010 at 11:00 am

You never cease to amaze me. And that new photo you have of yourself is lovely. Congratulations on your new workshop. I’m sending you good vibes and love.

vered October 13, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Congrats Davina and Good luck! I agree with Tess – the new photo is great.

Jannie Funster October 13, 2010 at 2:54 pm

You are always full of amazing new ideas, aren’t you!?

Awesome stuff. I know it will do well.

.-= Jannie Funster´s last blog ..Now- About That Spandex Jannie 1986 maybe 1987… =-.

Lori October 13, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I agree with Jannie, awesome stuff, Davina!
And, with Tess and Vered, too. I adore your photo here. You remind me of a daffodil in full bloom. Gorgeous!
I’m excited for you, and now know what’s been keeping you busy!
Enjoy and I’m behind you 100%.
~xo
.-= Lori´s last blog ..Shifting Sand =-.

Patricia October 13, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I can not sign up for this one, because of my one month job, but I want to be first in line for Workshop #2….because I will have my own funds to pay for it…

I want to write about ’em even if they are still living…and out loud! Sorry Betsy I am getting old and need to just get it off my chest and out of my mind!!

This is such a great idea and I am so happy it is finally here along with your great avatar from that amazing Barbara…You two are just setting the world on fire these days….sensational.

You are gorgeous and a great writer…smart, witty and oo la la!

What more can I say…You Go Girl!

Davina October 13, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Thanks, Betsy. Well then, I’ll just be waiting for your memoirs, that’s all :-)

Thank you, Wendi! I understand what you mean about the story structure. There is a science to it, and I love the ah hahs that you get when things connect. It adds a new dimension to the writing process.

Thanks for the good vibes. :-)

Thanks, Vered.

They keep on coming, Jannie. Thankfully :)

Appreciate your support, Lori. A daffodil in full bloom… me? Okay, I’ll take that; thanks :)

It’s nice to hear you say those words, Patricia… “job”. You’ve been putting out those vibes and things are starting to manifest — congrats again. Thanks for your support :-) Yes, Barbara did an awesome job on that advatar. I am so pleased.

Joy October 14, 2010 at 4:55 am

Awe-some for you!
And I agree with everyone above..your photo exudes calm, peace filled energy..participants in your workshop will benefit tremendously, and the process will enrich your life as well..
The love and support in the comments is wonderful to read..makes *me* smile..so must make your heart happy as well..
Lots of good energy for your workshop…

Sara October 14, 2010 at 11:46 am

Davina — YEAH for you:~) I’ve already booked my place and I’m really excited about this. It’s about time I put some structure in my work. I know I’m bit shaky about this, but I trust you:~)
.-= Sara´s last blog ..Recipe for a blog post =-.

Hilary October 15, 2010 at 7:28 am

Hi Davina .. I’m tempted .. just not sure of the time frame element .. and I don’t want to put myself back into a stressed state .. on the other hand the opportunity to have a go .. and that would be it .. being guided by you .. seems too good to miss.

So I guess from that .. I’ll give it a go!!!! And as Sara says .. I trust you .. but I’m at zero starting point .. we’ll see how we go ..

So fantastic news .. and should be so much fun .. better get cracking here .. cheers for now .. Hilary
.-= Hilary´s last blog ..Spaghetti anyone Made in China or does it grow on trees =-.

Davina October 15, 2010 at 11:07 am

Thanks, Joy. *smile* Everyone has been very supportive.

Sara… woohoo! That’s great news. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised just by how much you can play with structure.

Hilary, thanks! We’ll take it in stages. You can write at your own pace and let the learning unfold for you. There won’t be a final exam :-)

Hilary October 15, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Hi Davina .. sounds good to me .. I got the email .. and see what happens ..

Thank goodness there’s not an exam in emoticons .. I’d be a complete failure! Cheers .. H

Davina October 16, 2010 at 2:30 am

Glad you got the email, Hilary. Let me know if you have any questions about the Welcome Package or setting up your Ning profile. You should have also received that invitation by now.

LOL, there are a lot of emoticons. I use about 3 :-)

Hilary October 16, 2010 at 4:28 am

Hi Davina .. I did .. but for some reason Ning didn’t like my p’word for g-mail .. that I use all the time .. so I’ll try again & see what happens. Don’t want to change it ..

Also still busy catching up with other things & a post I guess! .. but I’ll get there .. cheers H

Tony Single October 17, 2010 at 5:18 am

Holy vernaculars, you don’t just sit about doing nothing do you, Davina! I come back after two or three weeks of internet silence and this is what I find! Phew! :P

Seriously though, I do hope this goes gangbusters for you. You have a real enthusiasm for words and creativity that is infectious… and I’m reading a certain something right now that I’ll comment more on soon. ;)

Barbara Swafford October 17, 2010 at 7:46 pm

You did it! Congratulations! I KNOW your workshop will be a HUGE success. Who better than you to learn from – you who knows how to captivate her readers with each and every word.

I agree with the others, the photo you’ve added of yourself is gorgeous. :)

P.S. Thank you for the link love. What fun we had coming up with the avatar, ay?
.-= Barbara Swafford´s last blog ..You’re Not A Failure =-.

Davina October 18, 2010 at 12:16 am

Oh, I hope it works for you, Hilary. Email me if you are still having problems.

LOL, it’s been a busy few weeks, Tony. Thanks for the well wishes — you’re too kind. I’m looking forward to seeing more of that infectious creativity once the workshop gets underway. Hope you enjoy the reading :-)

Yep… it’s here! Thanks, Barbara for your awesome compliments :-) I must say we DID have a ball coming up with the avatar. You’re welcome, re the link love.You did such an excellent job. I’m tickled pink with your design. It works in so many ways.

Jim October 21, 2010 at 1:15 am

What a great idea to help your fellow writers, Davina.
A writer with writer’s block is a writer on the wrong side of a box.
Just step out of your comfort zone and see what happens.
This does not apply to fiction only.
Just think about this, all humans and animals have structure in their lives.
Adding your novel “Serious Undulations” is a great bonus too.

Davina October 21, 2010 at 8:28 am

Yes, that’s right, it doesn’t apply to just writing. Good point. Serious Undulations will be a good study guide, I think. The story structure helped to drive that story more than I could have imagined it would.

Evelyn Lim October 21, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Congratulations, Davina, on your new launch! It sounds fabulous!! Do you have an estimated time that you are doing the workshop? Will you be doing recordings?

Davina October 21, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Thanks, Evelyn.
I’m pretty happy about it.

The workshop will run for 4 weeks with a new writing prompt every Sunday. After the 4th week the writing space will stay open until Dec 12th to allow writers to wrap things up and save any writing that they have not saved anywhere else. I won’t be doing recordings. This will all be taking place online. That is a good idea though for future workshops. I wonder… what it would be like to record your own story and then play it back? Now you’ve got me thinking :)

{ 2 trackbacks }