Misstakes Dew Happen Misstakes Dew Happen | Shades of Crimson

Misstakes Dew Happen

by Davina on November 11, 2010

Mistakes do happen

As a proofreader, when I see a typo my eyes light up; unless it’s my typo. And let me tell you, my friends certainly enjoy pointing them out to me when I make them.

We all make mistakes. That is why it’s recommended to let a fresh set of eyes read your work before going to print. After you’ve read it a number of times, your eyes will most certainly skim over mistakes because you already know what it is supposed to say.

The typo hall of fame

Recently, my attention has been drawn to a number of typos that have made it to print, causing embarrassment and costing money for those involved.

Here’s an unfortunate typo in the November 9th, 2010 issue of Vancouver’s Province, where Hornby Street took on a new identity. Article written by Eric Rolfsen.

Typo cast in bronze mars Emily Carr statue.” Article written for The Vancouver Sun by Katherine Dedyna. Can you spot the typo?

It was a typo that lead to the myth that spinach has 10 times as much iron as it really does.

And finally, as shared on the website Regret the Error, this story was taken from a report in The Globe and Mail: “Canadian prime minister embarrassed by typo”.

“An unfortunate blunder by the Prime Minister’s Office has residents of Nunavut alternately chuckling and cringing. A news release sent out Monday outlined Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s itinerary as he began a five-day tour of the North. The release repeatedly spelled the capital of Nunavut as Iqualuit – rather than Iqaluit. The extra ‘u’ makes a world of difference in the Inuktitut language.

Iqaluit, properly spelled, means ‘many fish’. Spelled with an extra ‘u’, the Nunavut language commissioner’s office says the word translates as a derogatory reference to ‘people with unwiped bums’.”

Throwing the book at typos

Everyone has a typo story. They make for great conversation, don’t they? While researching this article, I came across two books that would prove to be an entertaining read. And with Christmas coming up, they’d make a nice addition to your library; especially for that editor or proofreader in your life.

1. In this article “Word Nerds’ make a mission of eradicating typos”, written by Art Carey, read about “The Great Typo Hunt” that lead to the creation of the book The Great Typo Hunt: Two Friends Changing the World, One Correction at a Time.

This book “…Chronicles a 10-week road trip around America in the spring of 2008 during which Deck, Herson and other TEAL disciples attempted to rid America of typos, spellos, “prepostrophes” and other egregious mistakes, inconsistencies, transpositions, solecisms, and symptoms of “the creeping menace of carelessness.”

During their excursion, they pointed out and corrected typos in signs in a supermarket offering “beefstake” tomatoes and “pomegranite” juice. They fixed “bread puding” in Rockville, Md., “souveneir mugs” in Las Vegas, and “dillettante chocolate” in Seattle.

2. Regret the Error, by Craig Silverman

Regret the Error won an award for media criticism from the National Press Club. In this book, you’ll enjoy reading hundreds of hilarious corrections.

i proof you right

So there you have it. Unless you want to make it into the Shades of Crimson Typo Hall of Fame, consider hiring me. My expert proofreading and editing services “proof you right”.

Contact me for a quote today.

Photo credits:
Emily Carr Statue — Debra Brash
Popeye — Norwichnuts

Have you any typo stories to share?

Note: Links to The Great Typo Hunt and Regret the Error are affiliate links.

PS I did not hire a proofreader to proof this blog post. So, if you do see any typos, please let me know. :-)

Bec November 12, 2010 at 3:16 am

Typos! It’s always apostrophes in the wrong places. Drives me batty. Although I admit it took me a long while to stop writing 1980′s and realise it was just 1980s. And people who write A LOT as one word alot – it is in newspapers all the time now. So wrong. Also there is an Indian restaurant near me, which promotes their A Mazing cuisine. In one writing job I had I worked with real estate agents. Many insisted the multiple of shed is shedding. I maintained the multiple of shed is sheds as shedding is something my cat used to do. (Off topic but do other countries have sheds or do you call them something else? Like small barns/garages). Also for ‘a musing’ time take a look at the Engrish website.
Bec´s last blog post ..The Big F- T &amp L

Hilary November 12, 2010 at 6:41 am

Hi Davina .. thanks just spotted something on my latest post – forgot it and came here .. so have just corrected it.

I didn’t see the missing ‘N’ .. on Emily’s memorial .. even though I studied it?!

Interesting post and a good advert for you …

@Bec: we (in the UK) would call them sheds – as in building … and you’re right your cat or snake would be shedding their hair or skin….

Cheers to all .. Hilary
Hilary´s last blog post ..Tales- Sagas- Stories we can glean from our vegetables

Linda November 12, 2010 at 6:58 am

I know about overlooking typos in your own work by reading what you know it’s supposed to say instead of what’s actually written. A second set of eyes always helps.

I cringe when I miss something, only to spot it after I’ve clicked submit, send, publish, whatever. At least with my blog, I can go back and edit my errors.

vered | Blogger for Hire November 12, 2010 at 9:16 am

I’ve learned to forgive myself for blog post typos, but when something goes into print, or is set in stone, or even on a corporate website, there really shouldn’t be any typos.
vered | Blogger for Hire´s last blog post ..Personally I find Fall Depressing

Alien Ghost November 12, 2010 at 6:57 pm

I don’t have any tipo stories to share :) And I wouldn’t dare to check the teacher’s writing either, but I’ve seen those mistakes from time to time everywhere, and it becomes really surprising when we think of “professionals”

So far I haven’t seem to have many mistakes in my blog thanks to my robotic editor “Microsoft Word”, but it has limitations when it comes about general grammar. Personally I’m forced to use it because of my limited knowledge of the English language (I can fairly write but hardly speak…how about that?), and to be honest, I read my posts two or three times before publishing and, if I can’t find anything wrong (which doesn’t mean is not there), I press publish; but that’s it. Still, sometimes I’m surprised when reading blogs of people with a better knowledge of the English language and find some typo (sorry…tipo) mistakes.

Alien Ghost´s last blog post ..The Smiling Robot

Davina November 12, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Hi Rebecca.
LOL… I’m loving your comment :-) I feel your pain :-) I so understand :-) We call them sheds, too. Yeah, I’m still noticing a lot of 1980′s vs 1980s and I almost typed ALOT in that last sentence too! I’ve seen the Engrish website — hilarious stuff over there.

You’re welcome. That missing “N” on the memorial is a sneaky typo. One of those types — (or typos) — where your eye reads right over it.

Hi Linda.
Me too. I cringe when I miss a typo. But as you say, with blogging it’s easy to go back and fix them as opposed to fixing something that’s already gone to print. It helps when you read your work out loud to yourself; it slows your eye down… especially if you enunciate really well.

Hi Vered.
I recall reading about a typo in the paper that I couldn’t find any reference to online. It was a huge neon sign on the side of a Molson Canadian brewery in Ontario. Canadian was spelled wrong. :)

Hi Raul.
Shucks! I love tipo stories :-) I’m sure you’ve been over on Jannie Funster’s blog? She posts about funny typos and there are some pretty hilarious ones. I agree, when a person is printing something that requires a professional image, a typo has a way of marring the appearance.

Susan Deborah November 13, 2010 at 2:35 am

Typos are my worst nightmares. With the computer’s spell check, I am prone to committing more typos. Following becomes flowing, for becomes of and so on . . . You are right when you say that it becomes difficult to spot one’s own typos but sometimes love and pride does not allow me to ask someone else to proofread my work. Now I am slowly open to that idea.

This website is devoted to quirky spellings and typos. Please do check it out:
Susan Deborah´s last blog post ..I continue to surprise myself

Davina November 13, 2010 at 10:28 pm

That is so true, Deborah.
Spell check is not always reliable for typos. Being confident in yourself is another reason people don’t consider having someone else review their work. Not that there’s anything wrong with that :-) But, I’m always confident that there is some typo lurking somewhere.

Thanks for the link to unnecessaryquotes.com. I checked it out… LOL, I liked “this is ‘THE’ beauty shop.”

Chris Edgar November 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Yes, I spotted several typos in the plaque — Canadians never seem to spell “honor” or “preeminent” correctly. The British and, for that matter, most parts of Anglophone Africa don’t either. It’s a well-know fact.

Tess Bold Life November 14, 2010 at 3:39 am

I used to have typos all of the time. Then a couple of blogging friends pointed them out. I used my excuse ADHD and really it’s difficult however I now read my posts out loud…well most of them and hubs proofs them for me. I can now see how I was hurting my blog with my excuses. I love this creative post.

Patricia November 14, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I attempt to be very careful about typos. I am my own editor no one else reads my drafts. (I have paid for professional editing on several projects and on most grant proposals) Sometimes IT Girl misses a line when setting the post into the format, or a word goes missing and sometimes I use the wrong form.
I usually write ahead and read out loud and in reverse order sentence by sentence.

I also grew up in a family of perfectionists who corrected my grammar and speech patterns constantly. I seem to have a problem these days with putting the r on your, most often when writing comments. I trained my self to use “you and I” and ” you and me” incorrectly to irritate my mum. My kiddos and husband correct me every time now. They never get it wrong :) I nearly jump out of my skin when someone uses “Me and Joe are going to the store”, and wonder why putting yourself first in a sentence is so important and their ears do not hear the difference?
Chose and Choose get me confused as I was about Hoo and Who in grade 3, until someone taught me to put the T on the end of Hoot…

I have given myself permission to celebrate my Imperfection and just do my best and that makes me feel much happier about writing and commenting. That is what counts to me right now.

I do have my old trusted dictionary within arms reach and my grammar checker. I am attempting to let go of 40 years of formal, professional writing to celebrate conversational writing. I have intentionally added dashes and my “…” to many posts and comments to indicate I am in conversational mode and hoping for responses; at the very least a pause.

This was fun to read and enjoy. Will you do a post about run on sentences? Those just pop out at me when I am blog reading these days, and the lack of punctuation. I find them hard to spot when I make the error! Isn’t that always the way?

Davina November 15, 2010 at 12:03 am

Hey, hey, hey… honour is with a U… dammit! :-) LOL… “It’s a well-know fact.” Was that an intended typo on “well-know”?

Sorry, for some reason your comments are going into moderation. Yeah, see…? Reading your posts out loud really *does* make a difference. Glad you enjoyed this post. It was a lot of fun setting it up actually. Thanks to a friend of mine, I learned about the spinach typo and the Emily Carr plaque.

Oh, that happens to me a lot too… forgetting the “r” on your and another one is typing your instead of you’re. Am constantly fixing that one. Chose and choose is another good example. It’s great to keep that dictionary handy… amazes me how many times I’ve assumed the correct spelling of a word but my spider sense is tingling so I look it up — I’m usually glad I took the time to look it up.

Run on sentences are pretty funny; you can tell the writer is just in a hurry to get their thoughts down. Maybe it’s just me, but these kinds of things actually slow my reading down because I have to go back and re-read to figure out what I just read. I’ll hold on to the idea of a post about run-on sentences, Patricia. Thanks. If you happen to see any really bad ones, pass them on.

Barbara Swafford November 16, 2010 at 1:47 am

You know, when I first started blogging, I constantly noticed typos on blogs and they made me cringe. But as time passed, I realized two things: 1) It’s extremely easy for us to make typos, especially in comments if we’re in a hurry, and 2) English is not the first language of a lot bloggers.

That said, professional publications or displays should be typo free.

Haha! And I know just the person they could hire to proof them right. :)
Barbara Swafford´s last blog post ..Dont Believe Everything You Read

Wendi Kelly-Life's Little Inspirations November 16, 2010 at 6:51 am

Well, I don’t have to tell YOU how bad I am at grammar and typos, as you have been one of the test readers of our book and know very well how many of those pesky mistakes can sneak in even after you think they might be gone. I think it is virtually impossible for a writer to proof their own work, especially on a long project that they have been pouring over for a long time. It is absolutely critical to have a second pair of eyes look over any important piece of work before it hits the streets, if your writing reputation is going to depend on the work being error free.

And…I can say to the rest of you- I would vouch for Davina’s pair of eyes any day. She is amazing.

Davina November 17, 2010 at 10:33 am

I make typos all the time when I’m leaving comments. Some don’t get fixed before I submit and then I cringe :) It’s pretty easy to tell when a blogger’s first language isn’t English, so I expect typos in those cases.

As for those who are English, for me personally I can overlook the odd mistake, but after more than that, the writing appears sloppy and in some cases, difficult to read. I’ll either scan it quickly and miss something, or have to reread to understand.

LOL… yep, hire me and I’ll proof you right! :-)

Hi Wendi.
Yep, very hard for a writer to proof their own work and not miss something. It is possible, but it takes longer because you have to practically read every word and letter and sometimes two or three times. Who has the time for that, when their to-do list is a mile long?

Considering the size of your book and how quickly it came together I think you guys did an awesome job. It was coherent and organized and… engaging! I was honoured to be a test reader. And, thanks for the thumbs up :-) Appreciate that.

J.D. Meier November 18, 2010 at 1:47 am

Many fish vs. unwiped bums — yeah, that’ s a turn for the worst.

Davina November 20, 2010 at 9:26 am

LOL, JD. I agree! :-)

Liara Covert November 28, 2010 at 6:20 am

Some people see mistakes whether other people interpret new words being created. Different levels of perception determine what we see.
Liara Covert´s last blog post ..The things we love most

Davina November 29, 2010 at 10:47 am

Liara,
Depending on the venue, mistakes are entertaining. I love the “fortunate mistakes” that occur when puns or new words happen… just not when it’s a mistake on a client’s printed piece :)