Mindful Melancholy Mindful Melancholy | Shades of Crimson

Mindful Melancholy

by Davina on May 31, 2009

2522841535_0e5ccd7a5fThe Empathic, Naked Soul

This morning I was overwhelmed by sadness, and for no apparent reason. I was curious because nothing was “wrong”, yet I still felt like having a good cry.

So, I let a few tears wet my cheeks, all the while wondering, “What is this feeling?” “Where has it come from?” “Why now?” The answer that came to me was this:

“You continue to evolve and grow. You have arrived at a new phase in your life, while having outgrown your old belief system. You don’t recognize who you are yet.

Everything is new and unfamiliar. Your reflection in the mirror is the same, yet something is different and you can’t quite put your finger on it.

You are mourning those parts of yourself that you have allowed to dissolve. They have simply fallen away effortlessly, and your ego’s bubble has been burst. It has no reference points.

You feel homesick for those lost parts of yourself. No matter how painful or uncomfortable they may have been, they were familiar. Your soul is now naked, the slate wiped clean, ready to start anew. You are looking for something familiar, some comfort to help you settle in. Just remember.”

Remembering the Innocence

I looked into that imaginary crystal ball, and travelled back to a place of innocence. Another place of unfolding and growth. A place of allowing, even though I wasn’t aware of it then. It was happening despite the choices I made.

I was delighted by what I remembered and bathed in this melancholy, feeling refreshed and more alive. The heaviness turned to curiosity, which in turn led me on an adventure. When I was finished, I felt home again in this new place — remembering me.

Just for fun, here are some of the things I remembered:

Watching the Waltons on Sunday evenings.
Drinking coffee with Coffee-mate — yuck!
Gathering snowy pieces of wood from the woodpile for our fireplace.
Eating Cream of Wheat cereal with lots of brown sugar.
Making onion sandwiches with white Wonder Bread and mayonnaise — yum!
Picking raspberries with my sisters down the lane.
Playing KerPlunk and Snakes and Ladders on a rainy afternoon.
Watching my grandmother wash her face with Noxzema.
The sound of popcorn being made in the kitchen.
Wagon Wheels and bologna sandwiches for lunch.
Freshly washed sheets hanging on the clothesline, frozen in the wintery breeze.
Watching my mother’s silhouette in the moonlight while she tucked me in.
My aching calves during haying season.
Wearing bell-bottoms and bangs.
Watching autumn leaves chase the school bus while it meandered along the winding roads towards school.
The sound of the frogs and crickets at night.
Resting on dirty bended knees, and smiling while watching tadpoles wiggle around in mud puddles.
Climbing a tree, barefoot and feeling safely hidden by its whispering leaves.
Laying on in the cool green grass, watching wispy clouds sail across the sky.

Melancholy is Becoming You

Memories and melancholy danced in my thoughts. Instead of avoiding my sadness, instead of running from it or pretending it didn’t exist I played in the sandbox. The sands of time if you may, brought me home.

I remembered pieces of my childhood, memories that brought me validation of having “been somewhere”. Memories that honoured my innocence. I felt on the brink of something new.

There is humility in allowing and witnessing the unfolding of yourself. There is courage and comfort in stepping outside of yourself to take an admiring glance at how far you’ve come. Remember?

We’re constantly growing even when we’re not aware of it. When the unknown, or unfamiliar may feel a little overwhelming, turn around and see from where you’ve come. See your footprints. You are on a path.

Go ahead, pat yourself on the back. Look at how far you have come. And wonder what is ahead. Be curious. There is courage in not always knowing where you are headed. Encourage the unfolding; trust it.

Loving who you were will ignite inspiration to move you forward into the unknown. It will connect you with a space in time where you loved who you were; when you loved where you were. Love where you are now because someday you will look back upon this time and this memory for sustenance.

What memories do you have that make you feel whole in your life now?

What gives you that boost to keep going when you feel a little lost or overwhelmed at the newness you’ve discovered in yourself?

What new memories have you made today?

Photo credit: Morning Glory

Vered - MomGrind May 31, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Davina, I loved reading your memories. Especially the onion sandwich. :)

I created a memory today, for myself and for my children: our entire family went to a baseball game this afternoon. We dressed the part, cheered “our” team, ate lots of junk and in general had great fun watching the game (and yes, the SF Giants won. :)

Vered – MomGrind’s last blog post..10 Ways To Love Yourself As A Woman

Daphne @ Joyful Days May 31, 2009 at 7:59 pm

When I read the opening lines of this post, I immediately said to myself “OMG this is EXACTLY what I went through many years ago!” I’d find myself unbearably sad for no reason, and sometimes cry. This sadness was much larger than myself, so I knew it wasn’t about me. I’d tapped into some sort of universal consciousness, and during these periods I was literally feeling the sadness of the world. Though the sadness was great, it was also beautiful because it came from a connectedness that I hadn’t felt before or since.

So my explanation is different from yours. I like yours though – sometimes when I feel lost or afraid, maybe it’s because I’m losing part of my ego, on the brink of growth, without knowing it! I’ll remember this post. Thanks, Davina.

Daphne @ Joyful Days’s last blog post..Energize Your Home and Life with Feng Shui

LisaNewton May 31, 2009 at 10:11 pm

One of my fondest memories, of which I have many (hey, with 4 daughters, I have a lot), is one Mother’s Day, not too many years ago, when two of my daughters, who still lived at home, tried to make me breakfast in bed.

They knew I was an early riser, but on Sunday morning I try to sleep in a little late. For me, 6:30am is late.

They woke up extra early, 5:00am, to cook me breakfast.

By 5:30am, I was awaken by the fire alarm, which was going off as a result of burnt pancakes, which I love.

By daughter, bless their hearts, were trying to make me breakfast in bed, but obviously burnt the pancakes. The fire alarm woke me up, but the kisses from by daughters brought be back to life.

Although that Mother’s Day didn’t work out as my daughter’s had planned, it’s one of my most fond memories…………………….:)

Thank you for letting me “see” it again…………………..:)

LisaNewton’s last blog post..The State of the State of California’s Funding for the Arts

Robin June 1, 2009 at 3:43 am

Hi Davina – I love the way you have described your feelings in this post – and I enjoyed reading your memories! I remember wood gathering too – we used to drive up the back of the Dandenongs and collect wood, and Dad would cut it up with a chainsaw back at home, for our wood heater. I had to sit on it to hold it still.

Robin’s last blog post..Sondra Ray – Rebirthing And Physical Immortality

Betsy Wuebker June 1, 2009 at 3:46 am

Humility in witnessing your evolution and courage in accepting that we can’t know the future. Davina, this post is magnificent. I think we can tend to forget that each day has the potential to make a lasting memory. How many days are spent without this mindfulness?

Today I resurrect and redefine a wonderful memory and turn it into a new one. My friend Judy and I resume our morning 8 mile bike rides. The trail we take has beautiful lakeside vistas. More years ago than I care to admit we made this run several times a week before breakfast. Now the goal is to do it again. The fact that we were awesome svelte after 3 months of this has nothing to do with it. :)

Betsy Wuebker’s last blog post..MOM, PATRICIA TAGGED ME!

Positively Present June 1, 2009 at 4:34 am

This is an amazing post. I really love the way you’ve written it, how the words grabbed hold of me and kept me reading. Really great stuff here. To be honest, I don’t think I spend enough time focusing on the good memories. If I think about the past (which I’ve been trying not to do too much lately), it’s usually the bad stuff. I’m going to give some serious thought to the questions you’ve asked and do some journaling about it. I think it will really help to remind me that there are really great things in my past and I should focus on the positive past as well as the positive present! Thank you for this wonderful post. It was beautifully done and completely inspiring.

Positively Present’s last blog post..who’s afraid of the big, bad past?

Caroline June 1, 2009 at 10:17 am

OMG…this is exactly how I am feeling! My post today is along these lines… I am going through “something” but I can’t put my finger on it. I am feeling a bit lost, but it’s not scary. It’s like I am shedding off a layer of myself…I am excited to see what evolves from this…

Caroline’s last blog post..Capturing your essence…

Tess The Bold Life June 1, 2009 at 10:28 am

I love this, in fact it may be my all time favorite from you!
I have so many memories I don’t even know where to begin. So here are a few
Growing up on a produce farm eating fresh fruits and vegtables. Dropping watermelons and digging in to the heart with my hands, juice dripping down my chin in the hot summer sun.

9 siblings of fights, fun, craziness and love.

Meeting my boyfriend (now husband of 37 years) when I was almost 16 and having him gift me with flowers, candy, gifts and love.

My four children. Happy crazy, fun through out many years. Their friends, parties, sports…I could go on and on.

My grandchildren and all of the fun and activities we’ve done together. Watching them grow and knowing they love me more than life itself.

OK I’ll stop now. Thanks for the opportunity to be insanely grateful!

Tess The Bold Life’s last blog post..Magic Mondays with Castle Baths

Julie June 1, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Hi, Davina :)

“The heaviness turned to curiosity, which in turn led me on an adventure. When I was finished, I felt home again in this new place — remembering me.” Perfect words. During a real crappy period of my life, I turned to childhood memories, too, and found them to be as soothing and healing as you did—so comforting when I was feeling very lost.

Remembering who we are at the core is such a critical component of feeling steady even when our worlds rock us. I can’t think of a better way of achieving such peacefulness as remembering ourselves in our most carefree and innocent moments, surrounded by the comfort of a loving home life. Memories such as these are so easily brought to the surface for an instant Rx.

Julie’s last blog post..In Others’ Words, #2

Chania Girl June 1, 2009 at 1:46 pm

There have been many moments over the past several years where I have felt lost and overwhelmed. The memory that I have used to remind myself that I am not lost, that these things too shall pass, is the memory of me and a path (a literal one) that I walked along one morning to reach my morning breakfast. During my walk in the pre-dawn black, I realized that even though I couldn’t see every step in front of me, the refectory was still waiting for me at the end of the path, and I would get there … one step at a time. This became a powerful metaphor for me and actually the beginning of a new life path for me (though I didn’t know it at the time). 8 months later I was on a plane, courageously flying to a country where I’d never been and knew no one. I was strong and confident and courageous. I remember this strong, confident and courageous woman when I am feeling weak, powerless and fearful. And I remember the path.

Evelyn Lim June 1, 2009 at 6:29 pm

I can certainly identify with being melancholic even while I have been experiencing a sense of newness. Whenever I feel this way, I know that solace can only come from meditation or being in touch with nature. I remind myself that it is important to be in the now, not the past or the future. I am also lucky that I have my kids to constantly remind me of that with their gorgeous smiles and happy doodlings.

Evelyn Lim’s last blog post..The School of Life

patricia June 1, 2009 at 9:16 pm

I love just truly feeling emotions and then when I come back to that story the memory can come right alive again. Living emotions is very hard to do for most people, I find comfort in the remembering that calls forth the moment.

We can not really do something over, but we can plan for how to experience something the next time. I feel a freedom with emotions I did not know when I was younger.

Very nice writing and post. I like seeing Jannie’s CD. I am still trying to get the Quote Effect up, and Alex Fayle’s someday book.
Working on memory lane!

patricia’s last blog post..And The Winner Is!

Davina June 2, 2009 at 12:52 am

Hi Vered.
It sounds like a great time was had by all at that game. And even better that the team won! Baseball is one of my favourite sports to watch.

Hi Daphne.
What a beautiful story — how you found connectedness in the sadness. That was profound! I have heard that sometimes we do tap into universal consciousness through emotions, just as you’ve mentioned. This also makes me wonder if some of our dreams are in fact more of those types of connections made while we are asleep.

Hi Lisa.
I loved reading about your Mother’s Day memory — it gave me such a wide grin. Thank you for sharing it. I can see why it is such a fond memory too. Your daughters sound adorable.

Hi Robin.
Gathering wood was fun. We used to compete to see who could carry the most. Bet it made you feel important to sit on the wood to hold it still. And I also bet that it was your dad’s way of keeping you near :-)

Hi Betsy.
Of course “svelte” doesn’t enter into the picture. Of course! Tee hee. This sounds like a fantastic way to encourage sveltness (if that’s even a word), and a terrific way to start your day… sigh.

Hi Dani.
Thanks for your wonderful feedback. And I love that you’ve been inspired to focus on good memories. The Positive Present is becoming a Positive Past every second :-)

Hi Caroline.
This is great that you are so aware, so curious, and not afraid. The possibilities are endless. It’s almost like a part of you has taken a giant leap forward and the rest of you hasn’t caught up yet. Thanks for sharing about your post — I’ll make a point of popping by to read your story.

Hey, thank you. “Insanely grateful” — I love this term! You didn’t have to stop you know. If you think of more, feel free to add to your list… or maybe a new post for your blog?

Fresh fruits and vegetables grown on your own farm is priceless, as is being given flowers by a gentleman. Hasn’t happened to me enough darn it all. You have a huge family with 9 siblings. That must have kept (and still keeps) things interesting. Lots of memory potential there. :-)

Hi Julie.
What a lovely way you have with words. You’ve made me wonder what we’d do without these memories, this instant Rx that is right at our fingertips. It’s interesting how when we feel lost, we’ve gone back to a time when we had no real direction. Something more to ponder. You’re it! :-)

Hi Chania Girl.
This metaphor is so powerful. I started to visualize you stepping carefully through that pre-dawn black and knowing that you would reach your destination — like we always seem to do. That was a courageous thing you did, moving to a new place in the world (I’m assuming you are talking about your move to Greece). I wonder about that weak and powerless feeling in connection with the obviously powerful and courageous woman you are: “As the Pendulum Swings”.

Hi Evelyn.
Your wee ones are a blessing aren’t they? “Gorgeous smiles and happy doodlings” :-) I’m sure they’ve given you many memories to enjoy and appreciate.

That is true how emotions can bring the memory alive and vice versa. I agree that emotions are difficult for some people — I have a sister who is afraid to cry. I like your mention about feeling a freedom with emotions as you’ve grown older and comfort in the remembering…. a beautiful way to put it. I think as adults we come to appreciate and respect emotions more than we did as children.

Squawkfox June 2, 2009 at 1:07 pm

One of my favorite memories was a day when the cherry blossom trees bloomed in Vancouver B.C about 8 years ago. I was riding my bike down a street lined with blossoms. While the wind blew their gentle petals over my biking path and into my hair – I just felt like everything was right in the world. The smell of blossoms always takes me back. The perfect day.

Squawkfox’s last blog post..397 Ways To Save Money by Kerry K. Taylor

carla June 2, 2009 at 7:16 pm

I love to reminisce when I used to go to the beach with my mother on hot weekend days to play in the sand an cool off. Looking at the ocean, it felt like I would never grow up and life as I knew it would continue on forever.

What gives me that boost is remembering all the good things I have now. Events over the past few months have really taught me to make lemonade!

carla’s last blog post..Looking for fellow etailers

Davina June 3, 2009 at 12:28 am

Hi Squawkfox.
OMG, I didn’t realize you were from BC. We’re practically neighbours. What a peaceful memory THIS is. Don’t you just love feeling everything is right in the world?

Hi Carla.
I’m really enjoying reading about everyone’s memories. You’ve shared another good one. Time always seemed like an eternity to a child — probably because we weren’t weighed down with so many “what ifs” and “shoulds”. I’m glad you have lots of good memories to sweeten that lemonade.

Jocelyn at I TAKE OFF THE MASK June 3, 2009 at 4:58 am

There is a certain sweetness to melancholy once embraced :) On a certain level, we’d find out later on it has taken us to higher levels of happiness.

Jocelyn at I TAKE OFF THE MASK’s last blog post..Bear Children Begotten of Love

Liara Covert June 3, 2009 at 8:24 am

Davina, if you reflect on individuals who have undergone quantum leaps in transformation, the common thread in their life experience is the depth of perceived crisis they willingly explore. Eckhart Tolle opens his book, The Power of Now, with a glimpse into his own long-standing depression. Buddha went through stages of suffering when he chose to detach from those worldly things that had come to structure his life. Many similar stories also exist. In a nutshell, disappointment and other negative feelings are like a springboard to shattering your own illusions of what is important. Whenever you exprience anything other than pure love and unconditional self-acceptance, you are psychologically redefining what matters. Ego does not like it, but this is not the real you. Consciousness is expanding again. You are noticing on new levels of awareness. Its a stage of transformation. In this way, you are happy to be sad and not initially realize it. Go figure?

Liara Covert’s last blog post..Awaken from the dream of unreality

Sara June 3, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Davina — Your writing is more powerful and inspiring each time I visit. I loved how you took me from your tears of uncertainty to your knowledge of their wisdom. I also like the idea of remembering things about yourself. It’s the stitch we’ve already put down that helps us know how to do the next.

By the way, I remember eating banana sandwiches with mayo and having rotten orange fights with my friends (I grew up near an orange grove!)

Thank you for sharing yourself with us:~)

Sara’s last blog post..Story Photo Challenge: What do you see?

Giovanna Garcia June 3, 2009 at 3:06 pm

A beautiful blog post. I enjoy reading your memories.
I remember a lot…
Coming to America. The first time I discovered microwave oven. Frist time I met my husband. When my son was born. When I got my dogs and horse…

Thank you so much for the fine memories. Live is wonderful.
Giovanna Garcia
Imperfect Action is better than No Action

Giovanna Garcia’s last blog post..23 years to move one house 100 miles.

Davina June 4, 2009 at 12:15 am

Hi Jocelyn.
Exactly! You’re so smart. :-)

Hi Liara.
Your comment is right on! “…happy to be sad and not initially realize it.” Acknowledging and nurturing the sadness simply diminishes it, as opposed to resisting it, judging it and making it stronger.

Thanks for your wonderful comment :-) “…remembering things about yourself. It’s the stitch we’ve already put down that helps us know how to do the next.” Sara, this is brilliant. Are you sure there isn’t a PhD somewhere there after your name?

Banana and mayo… hmmm.

Hi Giovanna.
Thank you. You have some pretty important memories there. Lots of change in your life with each of these…(maybe not so much the microwave though), lol.

Jannie Funster June 4, 2009 at 4:24 pm

Davina, I was struck by the similarities in our younger days — the Waltons, WAGON WHEELS (most days we had one in our school lunches, which kind of disgusts me now when I reflect on it, as Kelly would never get anything like that in her lunch, fruit is her sweet.) Bologna sandwiches. Or fried bologna with mashed potatoes and peas for supper. Mmmm, mmmm.

Haying season, oh yeah. When I was a young teen I’d invariably jump the tractor’s clutch and make all the guys on the hay wagon curse. You ever do that?

Frozen sheets. Frozen jeans off the line. Perma wedgies. Climbing trees. Wait – you didn’t mention getting wedgies. Sorry, TMI there – you well know by now my propensity for underwear malfunctions.

During the night after my CD release I woke crying, and cried on and off for the next two days, which of course as Liara mentions relates to our discarding what we no longer need.

A good cry and bob-syour-uncle, off we go into the daisy patch again, tra-la-la.

And Bob Dylan’s melancholia, as well as so many others’ have brought this world some fine, fine songs.

Did any of this make sense at all? :)

Good night, Jim-Bob. Good night Mary-Ellen. And dont’ be getting into the Baldwin’s Sisters’ “recipe,” okay?

And thank you for that lovely link up there to my CD. Your link soon forthcoming. ya, ya, you’ve heard that before — But i mean it!

Jannie Funster’s last blog post..Another chance!

Davina June 4, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Oh yeah, fried bologna… I forgot about that one. No jumping on the tractor’s clutch though… and no wedgies – ha, ha. Never. That was quite the response you had after releasing your CD. I get the feeling that yes, as Liara says, you were releasing things. And… I also think that you were making room for more success to come your way after letting go of this “stuff”. “Good night, Jannie”. :-)

You’re welcome for the link. I’m happy to share this CD — it’s great.

Jewel/Pink Ink June 5, 2009 at 12:57 am

I love your list. It is a great reminder that what makes us whole doesn’t have to cost much.

Thanks for such an honest and inspiring post.

-Jewel

Jewel/Pink Ink’s last blog post..On Versatility

Barbara Swafford June 5, 2009 at 1:06 am

I know what your mean about sometimes just wanting to cry for no reason. A good cry can be so cleansing.

I loved reading your memories. When you wrote about the Nozema, it reminded me of how I bought a jar, not all that long ago, just for the memory of it’s smell and feel. Many of your memories are the same as mine as I, too, was raised in the country. Often me and my siblings will take a journey back in time, look at old photos, laugh and spout a lot of “remember whens”. Good stuff!

When I’m feeling a little lost or down and out, I’ll find a quiet place to sit and start writing in my gratitude journal. Just the act of recounting my blessings makes me realize I how fortunate I truly am.

Barbara Swafford’s last blog post..How to Write to Blog Lurkers

Cath Lawson June 5, 2009 at 5:21 am

Hi Davina – I have had that feeling of sadness before. And I’ve realised that it’s even possible to miss things that weren’t so great, in some ways, just because they were part of you.

Watching the Walton’s would also have come high on my list of old memories – also Bonanza and Little House On The Prairie. Other things that come to mind – climbing trees, feeding the calves and putting my hands in their mouths when I was cold.

Evita June 5, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Wow Davina – this was so profoud!!! I am actually speechless because you put it so beautifully how we grow, how we evolve, how we may not recognize ourselves! It is pretty amazing when one stops to think about it – and very emotionally moving too. I think simply because we are indeed humbled to see how far we have grown.

On a day to day basis we may get caught up in “not being enough, not doing enough” but when we step back and really look at all we have experienced and how we have changed – it is pretty remarkable!

To answer your questions, I simply going to say this. There are many memories that I actually have upon which I look back fondly – mostly around everything that has to do with me and my husband, from the beginning to now.

But beyond all the memories, I feel, I see and I breathe the changes within me – the evolution of my being, and I feel God – literally, I like you am often moved to an indescribable feeling that there is so much more to this whole story called “life”.

Evita’s last blog post..SkyWatch Friday – Fragrant Skies

Lori Hoeck June 5, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Fried bologna with tons of mustard! The memories in the post ring of many wonderful times. A friend sent an audio msg on the cell two nights ago of frogs bellowing across a lake in Wyoming somewhere. How it took me back to nights in rural Oklahoma!

While between blogs, I was able to heal and release much that needed to go. I had to walk through those feelings as well, instead of around them. A big help was Bach Flower remedies — I can’t say enough about them!

Lori Hoeck’s last blog post..How would you face danger or disaster?

Davina June 5, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Hi Jewel.
Glad this inspired you. Appreciation is priceless… whether it’s appreciation for the past, or what’s now. It all feeds us — appreciation can only happen now.

It’s great fun to reminisce over old photos isn’t it? It’s a real sign that you have been blessed to have this to share with your siblings.

Hi Cath.
I remember Bonanza. And Little House On The Prairie was another one of my favourites. Did you read Laura Ingalls’ book series of the same name? I LOVED those stories. I think it’s huge when you can feel fondness for things that weren’t so great; to recognize where you’ve been…it shows appreciation for yourself no matter what you’ve experienced, unconditionally.

Hi Evita.
It is pretty amazing when you think about it isn’t it? How hard we try to make things happen sometimes, and yet other things happen that we couldn’t have even dreamed of — things that have such an impact on our lives. “Life is just what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans…” — Lyrics from Beautiful Boy by John Lennon. I agree completely, “…there is so much more to this whole story called ‘life’.”

Rural nights in Oklahoma — would make a good title for a story or poem. Have you read Betsy’s latest post at passingthru.com? She has included some recordings of different loon calls. It is satisfying to walk through these types of feelings. Most people try to resist or hide from them. There is something worthwhile there… and once on the other side… the view is pretty great. :-)

Lance June 6, 2009 at 3:32 am

I guess we have those parts of us, that maybe have been there for a long time, that are hard to let go of. I love the thought, though – of letting go and moving forward (as hard as that can sometimes be).

Memories that make me feel whole? I’m drawn back to days on the farm. And the day I headed off to college – from small town America to the big city. And my wedding day – and the big snowstorm that came with it (and how people still showed up).

Wonderful post Davina…

Lance’s last blog post..Flip It

Davina June 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Hi Lance.
You have some great memories to share. Farm life is something near and dear to my heart — leaving the farm and heading to college must have been a big change for you. And, people still showing up on your wedding day, in the middle of a snowstorm, so great! You and your wife had some dedicated support,that’s for sure.

Tom Volkar / Delightful Work June 7, 2009 at 8:56 am

“There is courage in not always knowing where you are headed. Encourage the unfolding; trust it.” I dig this big time. This wisdom is what keeps me embracing the unknown especially with how my intentions turn out. I think it’s the only sane way to live.

I loved the Waltons too. I think many of us wanted to be in that family.

Tom Volkar / Delightful Work’s last blog post..Five Disturbing Ways To Make More Money

Davina June 8, 2009 at 1:38 am

Hi Tom.
You’ve got me to thinking that even when things turn out the way we “expect” we aren’t necessarily going to know how we will feel until it happens. We can’t even plan our response to successful intentions.

Tom Volkar / Delightful Work June 8, 2009 at 8:43 am

Yes, that’s true but isn’t surprise worth so much more? I love the pleasant surprise so much so that accepting what is while working in unattached fashion has become my intention.

Tammy-Cricket June 18, 2009 at 6:20 am

Oh, what a beautiful post Davina. Well…they all are. You know when I read that others experience the same emotions such as I …it is comforting.

Your memories are great. My biggest reflection is of the past memories I have of sitting on a front porch at my grandparents. I have such happy times there. When I designed my current home I made sure I had a porch on every side of the house. When things get tough, and I need my space, I will venture outside to sit. My children usually know what I am doing and they respect my silence.

Life does continue to move right along as we have these moments. The good thing, we can hop right back on the train and keep on going without missing a thing.
.-= Tammy-Cricket´s last blog ..Simple Things… =-.

Davina June 18, 2009 at 8:21 pm

Hi Tom.
Surprise is perfection! :-)

Hi Tammy.
Thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed this one. That is so true what you say… reading about other similar experiences creates a common bond. A porch on every side of the house? That’s great. You can follow the sun or follow the shade. What a great idea!