1. Island Thyme Bed & Breakfast 1. Island Thyme Bed & Breakfast | Shades of Crimson

1. Island Thyme Bed & Breakfast

by Davina on September 13, 2009

Chapter One: Some buses and a ferry

I arrived at Island Thyme Bed and Breakfast on Labour Day Monday, five hours after leaving my Kitsilano apartment and after taking two buses, a ferry and a Bowen Island Community Shuttle – double the time it should have taken.

I missed the 11:10 am ferry at Horseshoe Bay by just 10 minutes. After standing beside the ticket booth listening to a grumpy traveller complain about the shitty transportation system, I shrugged and wheeled my bags off to Troll’s restaurant where I enjoyed some coffee and French fries.

To BowenTime flew. Soon I was on the ferry and had left Horseshoe Bay behind. In 20 minutes flat, I arrived at Snug Cove on Bowen Island. The Snug Cove Grocer in their main shopping district — at the top of the hill, I might add — was busy. It was a long weekend after all. I pushed my cart from aisle to aisle, trying not to run over the laid-back locals and confused tourists who blocked my path. Determined, I was on a mission!

The B&B was a half-hour shuttle ride from Bowen Island’s Snug Cove and Wynn, the hostess, had recommended I buy groceries on the way in. However, the meat selection was not appealing; I would have to make do with leftover lamb for dinner.

I rushed back down the hill, now overloaded with the bags I had packed and the groceries. There was plenty of time to wait for the community shuttle, so I found a bench and parked my bags in the shade behind it. I laid down to wait but was unable to relax.

Maybe I was too excited, but I couldn’t help but notice, now that I had stopped rushing around, that I felt vulnerable. It was a strange feeling and it caught me by surprise.

There were people around, but I felt SO alone. I was alone; parked on a bench with near more bags than I could carry, and I was all sweaty from carrying them. It was embarrassing to be carrying THAT many bags.

“This is Bowen”

I was glad when the bus finally came. The driver went to get a cup of tea and I lugged my belongings up the steps to find myself waiting, yet again. My transit ticket had expired but the driver let me use it. “This is Bowen,” she’d replied casually.

The bus rumbled along rough roads, meandering around tight curves and navigating up and down steep hills. I peered through the window hoping to see a deer and trying to keep myself from falling off the seat. I half wondered if the coffee cream would be churned into butter by the time we arrived.

I was the sole passenger for the entire 30-minute journey and because the driver was busy concentrating on the driving, there was little conversation.

Wynn met me at the front gate of Island Thyme on her way out to run errands. We exchanged pleasantries and she gestured me towards the house with an invitation to make myself at home. I couldn’t wait to ditch the bags! How lucky that it hadn’t been raining.

“This was it,” I thought as I climbed down the stairs by the side of the house. I was anxious to see where I’d be spending the next five days and hoped it would live up to my expectations from what I’d seen on the website.

I wasn’t disappointed. The suite was lovely; rustic and cozy, well furnished and decorated in natural earth tones. Windows surrounded the main room on all but one wall, the view offering tall cedar trees for as far as I could see. Two beautiful throw rugs were placed over the hardwood floor.

SolariumCThe king-sized bed was covered with a plush white comforter, half-dozen beautifully hand-crafted pillows, and there were curtains that could be drawn round one side, like a canopy bed.

At the foot of the bed three votive candles were suspended in glass holders; I was going to light those candles, you could bet on that.

The dining area was a small solarium, separated from the main room by two glass doors. It was furnished with a small wicker table, two chairs and a beautiful dark wooden floor screen. Through the side door I could see a private stone patio where two chairs sat side by side… waiting.

In the southwest corner of the main room was an L-shaped ottoman, perfectly placed to enjoy the view across the Pacific Ocean and the spectacular mountainous backdrop. Next to the ottoman was a small pellet stove that offered a feeling of comfort, even though it wasn’t lit.

The kitchen was small but had all the amenities: convection oven, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, toaster and cookware, and the pantry was stocked with staples such as rice, cereals, tea and coffee, spices and cooking oils. Wynn had left a plate of fresh fruit on a small counter in the corner: pears, kiwi, apples, oranges and grapefruit.

Most women wouldn’t want to spend time in the kitchen while on holidays, but I was looking forward to putting a little tender loving care into my meals. I loved to cook and because I’d been so busy working over the last year, most of my meals had been thrown together.

HammockChairI left my bags sitting at the front door, unpacked, and returned to the deck where I planted myself in the hammock. I sighed, taking in the view. Paradise!

After unpacking, I washed some strawberries and put them in a small bowl, gathered my cellphone, sketch pad and camera, and returned to the hammock. There was journalling to catch up on and pictures to take.

Imagine my surprise later, when I tried to go back inside and found the door locked. And there were the keys, sitting on the counter by the ottoman, glistening in the sunlight.

I walked around the side of the house and up the wooden stairs in my slippers to peer through Wynn’s front window. There was no response to my knock except for her cat’s curious stare from the couch.

Continued with The Key to Vacation Thyme.

Lance September 13, 2009 at 3:10 am

You’re leaving us in suspense! What happens next?? Can’t wait to hear… And hey, at least you weren’t still luggging all those bags around, right!
.-= Lance´s last blog ..Sunday Thought For The Day =-.

Julie September 13, 2009 at 3:27 am

Hi, Davina! Welcome home. :) Now please keep writing. The suspense is killing me! And, could you maybe shorten the “few weeks” to “few days?” LOL, it’s going to be fun, sharing your vacation with you…
.-= Julie´s last blog ..Honor Redux, with a Twist =-.

Fred H Schlegel September 13, 2009 at 6:48 am

Wonderful start to your story. You hit notes that reminded me of trips past that had me living vicariously. And now the keys left in the room! My most precious vacation memories are often of what went wrong. Look forward to seeing what comes next.
.-= Fred H Schlegel´s last blog ..The 3 P’s of Innovation =-.

janice September 13, 2009 at 10:23 am

Sorry I’ve been away for a bit, but it’s good to be back. I can’t wait to find out what happened next!
.-= janice´s last blog ..The House of the Thousand Horrormoans =-.

Hilary September 13, 2009 at 11:14 am

Hi Davina .. great tale – I am certainly feeling where you were .. but what happens next .. bears from the forest, .. enormous birds from the skies .. I look forward to instalment two …

Sounds an interesting trip! Hilary Melton-Butcher
Positive Letters Inspirational Stories
.-= Hilary´s last blog ..Sting like a bee? Dance like a bee? =-.

Cath Lawson September 13, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Hi Davina – It looks like an awesome place and you even had your own hammock – brilliant.

It sounds like you make the same mistakes as me – trying to carry too many bags and locking yourself out.

I’m dying to know what happens next and I hope you managed to find some fresh food to cook.

Barbara Swafford September 13, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Welcome home Davina,

That’s what I like about you – you make the most out of any situation.

The house is gorgeous and looks SO comfortable. I can understand why it more than exceeded your expectations.

I’ll be back to read “the rest of the story”….
.-= Barbara Swafford´s last blog ..The 15 Minute Post =-.

Dot September 14, 2009 at 6:59 am

Looks like a great place to stay! I really must get myself out of town and stop staying home. I’m looking forward to more. I think you generally write poetry more than prose, so we’ll see what you give us about the rest of the trip.
.-= Dot´s last blog ..Comment on Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes by Dot =-.

Davina September 14, 2009 at 10:37 am

Hi Lance.
Hee, hee. I feel so guilty, but I had to end here. Otherwise the post would have gone on too long. There is a LOT more to come.

Hi Julie.
Thank you. I can’t say it’s great to be home though… sniff… but I’m starting to ease back into myself. I’m looking forward to some storytelling and sharing about the vacation. I love reading to people and since I have no children, my blogging buddies are gonna be my “listeners”. :-)

Hi Fred.
You couldn’t be more correct. Those unexpected memories are definitely the standouts. It would still have been a wonderful vacation, but these hiccups all add “spice” to the memories. Spice — get it? Island Thyme. :-)

Hi Janice.
Welcome back. And there will be lots more to come. I’ve got quite a series of posts rising from the journals. Gonna be fun!

Lol, enormous birds from the skies. I’m not telling… ha, ha.

Hi Cath.
It WAS an awesome place and the hammock was SO great. You and I are just a couple bag ladies eh? I always seem to end up with more than I can carry. You’d think I’d have bought a car by now. But nope.

Thank you. This was a dream vacation spot. I will definitely be returning.

Hi Dot.
It was fabulous. I’d love to bring some friends there next time and show them up the mountain. But… THAT is another story :-)

patricia September 14, 2009 at 5:14 pm

I am going to go and check this spot out. Nice story telling and please do tell more in your delightful words

Play, play, play and relax – ahhhhh yes!
.-= patricia´s last blog ..Computer Glitch =-.

Chris Edgar | Purpose Power Coaching September 14, 2009 at 6:33 pm

I hope you aren’t sitting on the porch typing this as your laptop runs out of batteries. I’d be happy to call the local police from my land line — just respond to my comment if you need help and I’ll google their number! But seriously, it sounds like an adventure and maybe even a little fun — looking forward to more.

Robin September 14, 2009 at 8:14 pm

Aargh – a nail biter! It all sounds great, Davina. Love the photos.
.-= Robin´s last blog ..Immortality Of The Body =-.

Davina September 15, 2009 at 12:49 am

Wynn is a lovely hostess too. She lives above and is so quiet you’d hardly know she was there. So quiet, that one night I could hear the soft pitter patter of her cat’s paws on the floor :-)

Lol. Oh if only I HAD my laptop while I was locked out. Glad to hear that you would have aided in my rescue.

Hi Robin.
Ha, ha… a nail biter. Goodie; it worked. :-)

Liara Covert September 15, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Every stage of your journey is full of opportunities to learn and expand your sense of what it means to feel alive. Readers resonate with the blessings you choose to experience, regardless of the apparent situation.
.-= Liara Covert´s last blog ..Paranormal events happen to normal people =-.

Davina September 15, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Hi Liara.
“Expanding your sense of what it means to be alive.” Exactly! And it seems there are never-ending opportunities to do this. Thank you. :-)

Jannie Funster September 18, 2009 at 4:24 pm

Oh. My . God. I have not read any of the above comments to sully this lyric adventure.

What could possibly happen next?

Your cream was curdled?

Your lamb revived and did battle with you??

You had put your back out from carrying all those bags?

You stubbed your toe on the earth-toned eiderdowns???

The fries and coffee snack came back to haunt you as you, in panick-stricken terror were locked out of your own pied-a-terre for the whole five DAYS!!

And it started to rain. For the whole Five Days!!

And your hair dye you thought was permanent started to run all over your 100% Guatemalan tie-dyed, rain-forest-friendly cotton shirt and down to your new hiking boots which by this time had left you with 21 blisters but your band-aid box only came with 20??

I need more wine for the continuation — will be back.
.-= Jannie Funster´s last blog ..The Unbreakable Child: Book Review =-.

Davina September 18, 2009 at 8:45 pm

Well you’re on a roll…. Nope, the cream didn’t curdle, the lamb was revived but didn’t do battle with me. Thank GOD I didn’t put my back out or it rained the whole time. That would have been pretty rotten! You could write a real good worst holiday post.

Hair dye? Me? Nah… Up until two years ago I had been colouring my hair red, but it was just too much trouble so I’m a natural gray now.

Sara October 1, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Davina — You are such a great story teller! I’m now starting at the beginning and filled with anticipation to discover how you recover the keys:~)
.-= Sara´s last blog ..When You Need a Hug =-.

Davina October 1, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Hi Sara. You are lucky you weren’t left hanging in between posts like everyone else was :-) I really appreciate you taking the time to read these posts!

{ 4 trackbacks }